Abortion has no emotional effects?

Says Planned Parenthood. So if you have had one, is this true? It seems unlikely that every women who has had one suffered no emotional effects. Maybe some but that's not what PP says. It just seems they are more pro-abortion than pro-choice.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 6:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Health

• Ehh I don't know what they're thinking. My husbands ex claimed to have an abortion (we never knew if it was true or not) and he was pretty upset about the thought of it. of course, he hadn't known she was pregnant or anything but just the thought upset him.

I had friends who had abortions in high school and they had mixed emotions. Some of them still wonder if they made the right choice and I know it was really hard for one of my close friends when I had my son since I was 19...just a few months older than her and she terminated her pregnancy. She was in a completely situation, though and her boyfriend at the time wasn't supportive.

I just think abortion is one of those things where you can't generalize people's reactions and experiences...
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 7:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would like to see a link to that, because I have a hard time believing PP would say that. I'm sure for some women, it doesn't have an effect, but for most, it's definitely a hard decision to make, and it DOES have an emotional impact. Don't get me wrong, I'm pro-choice, and I don't believe it's something that will haunt them for the rest of their lives, but to say it's as emotionless as going in for a check-up... I don't believe that.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• actually i have several friends who have had abortion and it really had no effect at all. its basicly continueing on the way you already are. its much harder on you to give a child up for adoption.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Really? Can you give me a link to where it says that? I would think that it would be bad PR to make a generalized sweeping statement like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It's something I'll always regret & it still hurts sometimes. But, i would not say it caused me "emotional problems". I didn't get manic depressive or need therapy or anything. I'm pretty sane for the most part.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I guess it depends on the definition of emotional effect. I had an abortion and to this day have never really forgiven myself. It was more than 20 years ago. It was one of the the saddest thing I have ever done. I wish my SO and I had not gone into a panic and had told our parents. I know now that we would have gotten through it, they would have still loved us, and would have accepted that child with loving arms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have had 2. The first one did not bother me emotionally. I was only 17 and I think I was too young to even understand the whole pregnancy/baby idea. I had another at 29, and that one bothered me a lot. I think finally having a child at 36 is what has helped me come to terms with it. It really depends on your state of mind at the time, reasons for doing it, desire for children in general, etc etc etc. There are way too many factors to ever make a blanket statement like that!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 7:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• well the majority of abortions are teenagers so i t may make more sense that way anyway.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Only if you are a robot.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• 16 years later I still feel the hurt. Every year on what would have been "his" (don't know whether it was a boy/girl, it's just always seemed a boy) birthday (his due date) I cry. I can't believe what I did, especially now that I have children and see how precious they are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2010