my baby is a month and a week should she be drinking 6ozs of milk because she will

toya1jolly

Asked by toya1jolly at 8:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, I don't know everyone else's baby, but I know mine. I breastfed and supplemented formula once in a while for the first 10 weeks. My daughter is so quick to pull away from the breast and now, when she doesn't want any more formula, she will push the bottle out with her tongue and turn her face. She just turned 3 months on Wed. and she's been doing this since she born. My daughter eats anywhere between 4-6 oz.. every 2-4 hours. I'm on her schedule. The only time she's seems to be on a set schedule is in the middle of the night, otherwise, her naps set the schedule and there's no routine there really. Either way, after you feed your baby, look at and feel her belly.>>>>>
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• what's the question? :)

I always let my kids eat as much as they wanted at a time, it's too much if they spit it up. so if she isn't spitting up a ton of milk then she's fine :)
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 8:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Bottlefed babies often have no clue as to how much they should drink heres a good chart to help.
    http://www.earthsbest.com/baby_nutrition/feeding_schedule_print.php
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• It may not be the most politically correct answer, but babies are a lot like puppies....they will eat and eat and eat as long as it's there. The breast only produces so much milk at one time, so the baby can only get so much, even if they continue to suck. Mommies can offer the bottle time and time again, and baby will continue to eat. My dd is 5 months old and she is just starting to eat 6 ounces at every feeding, but if offer more, she will usually eat it. I like to think that as moms we all know what is right/best for our particular child, so if you start to question it, then it probably isn't right:)
    KMAsMommy9182

Answer by KMAsMommy9182 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• cont>>>>>they always look much bigger after a feeding, but if it looks too big, then I would worry. And if you're really worried . . . when she's crying and you think she's hungry, just try to rock her sleep or whatever she likes, just so you know that you're not giving her the bottle when she didn't "ask" for it. I have been doing that with my daughter, and sometimes I can get her to sleep and she'll wake up five minutes later screaming . . . so I know, yeah, she's hungry!! :) So, really, you know your baby. Oh and the comment, "if you start to question it, then it probably isn't right." I don't think that's accurate at all. Every new mother questions everything she does.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• when you say milk i hope you mean breast milk or formula, not cow milk. i think by the book it's too much, but you will probably have better judgment. if she seems okay, it's probably okay.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 11:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• as long as you make sure she is burped well, she might be ok with how much she takes at a time.
    Midnightduck515

Answer by Midnightduck515 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• i can only tell you how i did my daughter. i only gave her 4 oz and felt her stomach if itwas hard the she was good if it wasnt id give her 1 more oz and she was usually good but 4 oz usually did it escpecially if u add cereal to it.
    nini_mom

Answer by nini_mom at 1:23 AM on Oct. 13, 2008