Experiences with Water Birth

I was just curious as to how some of your water births have been. I'm considering having one. At the very least, I'll likely labor in the tub. Does one often deliver the placenta in the tub as well? Anyone want to share their experience? Thanks!

SMH2010

Asked by SMH2010 at 6:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have not had a personal experience with a water birth, but I have been present at 2 - my friend is a mom of 5 kids. One c-section and 4 VBACS (1 hospital, 1 birthing center w/tub laboring, 1 home waterbirth, and 1 unassisted home waterbirth).

She said that labor is labor - it is different with each kid but she did feel like the pain was less in the water. She said it was easier and less stressful than hospital births. She delivered the placenta in the tub both times (the second time, the placenta was not delivered until an hour after birth and the cord was not cut until after it was just delivered on its own).
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 6:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I had a water birth with my youngest son, you can find my birth story in a journal post on my page. I got out before delivering the placenta, however it's done either way, some will get out first other will just deliver it in the water. After having a water birth I don't think I'll ever birth a baby on dry land again!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My DIL had a water birth for her third baby. She said it was the best thing she ever did and wished she had the other two that way. She got out to deliver the placenta laying down in her bed.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I am a certified Doula and Lactation Counselor (not currently practicing) and one of the birth's I was "invited" to was a home water birth with 2 midwives. It was one of the most AMAZING experiences of my life!!! The mom's parents, relatives and friends were populating the main and the 3rd floor and were in a celebratory but respectful mood and the birthing experience was in the finished basement. There were candles everywhere and shamanic drum beats in the background. The mom was so focused and so at peace, it really was spiritual and amazing!!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I had dd in a HUGE tub with a midwife. And i have to say it was wonderful! I had 100% back labor and as soon as I got in the tub I started to feel better. Granted, I was still miserable, but the water made it bareable. I literally Just curled up in a ball on the bottom of the tub for 2 hours until I started pushing. I labored and delivered dd in the tub. Just be forewarned if you are a bleeder (like I was!) before you know it you will be sitting in a bathtub full of blood. But at the moment you don't even care. I also delivered the placenta in the water. I got to sit in the tub and just dd for almost 30 min before I got up and went to the bed. My midwife also allowed dh to get in the tub with me (he chose not too though). I don't know if all places would do that. When you get out of the tub and you have 3 people holding on to you and helping you get up, LET THEM! Yo udon't realize how weak and dizzy you are, I almost fell!
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• But it really was amazing, I would def. do it again if I have another baby.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 10:33 AM on Sep. 4, 2010