mybreast pump has lost its suction?

i have a lansinoh double electric pump and i EP so i pump about 10 times a day. now one side of my pump wont work so i have to pump one breast at a time. ive email the company but they r gone for the holiday weekend. ive used it for over 6 months now. ive tried taking it apart and switching the parts and nothing works. pumping one breast at a time is really annoying. has this happened to anyone else? if so wat did u do? and wat is a inexpensive pump that i can buy if i need to replace this one? thanks!

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 6:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would also suggest at least temporarily renting a pump- you can get them from a lactation consultant or even babiesrus.

I know somebody might want to slap me for this, but people sell pumps on craigslist all the time. I would look into that as a cheaper way to replace your pump- just buy all new parts, and use the motor.

I started off with the exact same pump as you and later switched to a Medela out of frustration of the carrying-to-work situation with the Lanisnoh. I seemed to be able to pump more in less time with the Medela.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 9:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Can you try and hand-express some milk while you pump the first breast, and then switch? You may even get more milk that way!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 7:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i do hand express and i get more than enough milk its just the pump that is the problem. i think the motor is dying!
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Most breast pumps, even the more expensive ones are designed to last about a year with regular use, such as a few times a day. With an inexpensive pump like this, pumping 10 times a day, I think you have probably gotten your money's worth from it. Hopefully I'm wrong and the company will do something for you!
    I'm surprised that you have managed to EP for 6 months with this pump! Way to go! It may also be why you need to pump 10 times a day.
    Since you use the pump so much it would be great if you could get something more substantial, Like a Medela Pump in Style or a Ameda. Even the most expensive one is still cheaper than an couple of months of formula.
    Keep up the hand expression and see if there is any way you can fork out the big bucks for a better pump!
    What about renting a hospital grade pump for a few months? That might be cheaper.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think you're going to need to upgrade. A rental will cost you more in the LONG run, but it's usually easier to swallow than $300 at once. And it's still cheaper than formula.

Way to go for exclusively pumping for this long!

Answer by gdiamante at 9:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• yeah i think i will just break down and buy the medela pump! i wish i had known i was going to ep to start with so i would have just bought the fancy one to start with! ive read other reviews on the cheaper ones and they dont work as well! thanks for the craigs list tip tho i thought about that! and yeah i cant believe i made it this long too! i said i was only going topump for 9 months but we are doing so well i will do the whole year now! :-)
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2010