Should I get the kids a puppy?

We had a Beagle, who ran out when we were babysitting another child and got hit by a car. The emergency vet who treated her wounds said with a Beagle, its not a question of IF it will happen again but when. So, I did what I thought was the most responsible thing and gave her to a beagle rescue. My 13 year old watched her get hit and was devistated. Then to find out shes going to recoup, but we have to get rid of her, again it crushed his world... Then he reminds me that his dad (my hubby) is in Iraq and I can't take everything special from him. He's taking it personally!

I have a 6 year old at home too and we watch a 10 year old 2x a week as well, so the concern that if we got another dog, one of the younger kids would be careless again and let it out on accident hangs heavy on my mind as a big con...

Please weight in and let me know your opinions.

Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Pets

• what about a small dog you keep inside and walk on a leash for it to do it's business outside?
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 8:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• what ever your decision is, i would get a puppy..puppies are better w kids and easier to train how you want..i.e..training it not to run into the road.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 9:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• How about keeping the dog crated or in a locked room while the child you babysit is over? And make sure your own kids know not to let the dog out. I babysit a 2 1/2 year old and she has learned not to let my dog out when we go in and out (not that she has the power to stop her, but at her age, she does know enough to say "No Doggie!") And make sure the dog is trained not to run in the yard or get an electric fence.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• How about get a puppy and then the Invisible fence thing... It worked for my mother who just recently installed it.
    rivmom

Answer by rivmom at 9:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• If he loves that beagle--go and get him!!!!! Losing a dog is part of life---if he wants to take that chance, I would get the beagle back and let your son enjoy him. It hurts a lot--but so does having to give a living dog up just "in case". Any dog could get ran over. I have had two---one because she was crossing the road into the neighbors cows---the other was a freak accident that was pretty gut wrenching. But I wouldn't have given up the joy to avoid the pain.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• puppies are so much work and bite still. heck their teeth are really sharp.a good natured dog you might consider is the standard poodle. read up on the breed and then search craigslist. they rarely are cheap but they are really smart, loyal and less energy. my 2 yr old lays all over on top of her and she is so smart. best dog ever.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:05 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I'm an animal evaluator/behaviorist. I work with humane societies and rescues to assist them in placement. My opinion is that you should get a puppy only if YOU are willing to train it. I am in agrement with the mom who suggested crating. When a dog is crated, you do not have the risk of run-away or overly effectionate behaviors. Don't get a puppy just because they are cute. Cute grows up and is sometimes homely, has behavior issues, not to mention potty accidents. Are you getting rid of your dog because he runs or for convienience of situation? Landlord issues? Try crating when you can't give him heavy supervision.
    PleiadesMom

Answer by PleiadesMom at 1:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• No matter what kind of dog you have or get you need to train , train, train a dog to keep it from getting itself in trouble. Ck with a trainer for answers to keep your dog safe.! I know because I train mine to wait at the door. Then when it is opened they are still waiting for the command to FOLLOW me out. If other people are leaving and they go to the door, I yell the wait command and everyone sits at the door. Now it didn't happen over night either. I had to really work to make this happen. I run a doggy day care and a lot of peeps and dogs are coming and going. Mine know the routine after many hrs of training. I don't even give it a second thought unless it is not my dogs. So see if someone can help you train your dog to do what you want. Ps I have a beagle named holly-molly, She is now the pack leader...lol Good luck , I hope you can do something for your family to be happy with yours.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 1:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• why dont you try a dog run? then he'll never be able to run out into the road. you wont have to keep him couped up when the 10 yr old is over. and he'll get the exercise he needs in a safe way.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Get your beagle back. It's not the dogs fault he ran out. You are his family and all he knows. Be more responsible and lock him up if you ahve to watch kids. Beagles are GREAT with kids. How do you know it won't happen with yet another dog.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:02 AM on Oct. 14, 2008