Can anyone tell me about homeschooling?

I really don't care for the school my son is in, the majority of the faculty all seem to have a "better than you" attitude. My daughters are in another school in the same district and their principal, teachers and everyone else I've encountered are great, it's just the primary school I have issues with. I hate the idea of him spending 2 more years there, and then having my youngest have to go there too in a few years. The twins went to that school and I dreaded taking them everyday, but didn't feel I had a choice, but now I am wondering how difficult homeschooling is, at least until my other 2 kids hit the intermediate school. Just looking for some info, opinions, suggestions, etc. Thank you.

Mystyk_moon

Asked by Mystyk_moon at 7:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in

• There are many different homeschooling styles and finding what works best for you and your children is the most important. Also, you will need to find out what your state regulations are for homeschooling. Not all states require you to meet with a professional or even test at the year's end. It's a good idea to keep records of what you are doing, but it's not necessary to go out and purchase a complete curriculum - you can find a lot of text books on ebay and not spend nearly as much. There is also a book called Homeschool Your Child for Free and it's great. Check your local library, ours has a lot of homeschooling books and see if there is a co-op or homeschool association in your area - you can learn a lot from moms who have been doing this a while. If you plan to send your kids back to public school it woudl be a good idea to follow your state standards too so they are on target when they return. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Well, there are different ways that people home school, and different reasons for homeschooling. I homeschooled my younger two sons, and our style was that we were very structured. We did school from 8am to 3pm, and had a regular school plan using basically the same curriculum as the public school. Each state has different laws about homeschooling. We were able to use a charter school to homeschool through here in California, and they actually provided the curriculum, and all school supplies.

The reason I was so structured, and planned our school day the way I did, was that my intention was for my kids to go back to public school in middle school, and I wanted them to be prepared for the regular school day. One of my boys went back in middle school, and the other chose to homeschool through high school. He started college at age 15, has a regular high school diploma, and is in his 3rd year of college now...he's 18. Good luck.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My mom home schooled all of us (6) and there are many different options. You can order complete curriculum from company's you can do to the library and get everything you can use a mixture of things. I helped her with my Youngest sisters and everyone always tested great!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 7:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My DIL homeschools my two grandaughters (6&8). She is very organized and has set up her living room as a class room. She follows a specific home schooling curriculum and has to have meetings every month with the public school department representative to make sure she is meeting expected grade milestones. I don't know if this varies by state. She is in CA. She also meets weekly with other home schoolers as a group. The mothers take turns covering specific topics. Good luck if you decide to do it!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Thanks for posting this. I'm also considering homeschooling and I enjoyed reading the replies to your question.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:51 AM on Sep. 4, 2010