Is there anything I can do for my lower back/leg pain?

I have pain under my right shoulder blade, and even more severe pain in my lower back which goes down my butt, all the way down to my toes, sometimes causing my leg to go completely numb, but mostly causing horrible pain. Most of the time, I can't move at all because my back will crack if I do, or because I'm unable. It hurts too bad to cry or scream most of the time also. I'm about 12 1/2 weeks pregnant, and at my wit's end. Please help!

DereksBabyMomma

Asked by DereksBabyMomma at 7:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I am 30 weeks pregnant and have had the same pain for most of my pregnancy. I have learned to use heating pads on my back and legs. I keep a pillow between my legs when I am laying down. You can also use extra strength tylenol safely. Hope you feel better soon.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:37 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Try some gentle stretching, don't force it.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 7:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Sounds like the sciatic nerve, but seems to early for that... heating pads or a warm bath but check with a doctor first as some advise AGAINST heat during pregnancy!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 7:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• ok first off take hot baths but not for long periods of tiem get some bengay and when your sleeping put a pillow between your legs and when sitting put a pillow or towel under only one leg or butt cheek it seems to take the pressure off of the hips. thats for the lower back. also try gentle stretching and some walking may help. you could also treat yourself to a massage or a chiropractor may be able to help.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• get yourself to the chiropractor!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• well you may have injuried yourself with the seizure not knowing but i would take it easy but at the same time but just sitting around or laying around you will make things worse because the muscles will tense up causeing more pain. with any back issues the best thing you can do is to do stretches but very gentle do not stretch until you start to feel pain. pain in this case is not what you want. heating pads and bengay and hot baths before you stretch GENTLY will help release the muscle spasms. my husband has a siatica and a buldging disk so im familiar with some treatments for lower back pain.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 7:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• what has your dr said?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I've told my OBGYN about the problem, but have yet to have an appointment to be examined for it since it started because she's on vacation. she simply told me before she left to 'take it easy'...i have, and i keep getting worse.
    i'm worried about stretching. any particular stretches you'd recommend?
    DereksBabyMomma

Comment by DereksBabyMomma (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i'm seriously considering going to the chiropractor....i should've also mentioned that i have a seizure disorder. i had a seizure and that's when my pain began. I'm not sure if i injured something during the seizure, or if it was already injured and i triggered it to get worse or what.
    DereksBabyMomma

Comment by DereksBabyMomma (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i try to do light house work (dishes, folding laundry, simple cooking), and i do go for short walks everyday, which DOES help some, but i'm also struggling with the exhaustion that comes from being pregnant so forcing myself to go walking is a chore in itself lol. but again i need to ask what stretches any of you would recommend?
    i got some bengay today, hoping it would work....thank you all very much for the help! it is greatly appreciated by myself as well as my husband, who suffers more than i do because he has to put up with my whinning! lol
    DereksBabyMomma

Comment by DereksBabyMomma (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010