Baby proofed garbage can????

Wondering if anyone else has found a garbage can that you little one can not open? My little guy loves to take everything out of mind all teh time!!! I can not block off my kitchen because we have an open floor plan! Thank you for any suggestions!!!!

Mom2Brock

Asked by Mom2Brock at 7:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try turning it around to face the wall, put it under the sink, use a smaller one on a chair, in the landing to the basement.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Ughhh no but if someone finds it let me know asap, lol. D is going through a trash phase and its driving me nuts! Aren't kids yucky and gross ;]
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 7:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It's not pretty and I hate it, but I have my garbage can on a chair. I have an open floor plan too, so I use one of my dining room table chairs and keep it by the kitchen.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 7:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have a small garbage pail under my kitchen sink. When my Son was smaller & more curious, I used a child proof latch to keep the doors closed. That worked for us.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have a feeling that if I put it on a chair then Ds would just climb up and knock both of them off!
    Mom2Brock

Comment by Mom2Brock (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• while my son has not done this ( yet probably ) my cats used to get in mine all the time so I bought a wood one, otherwise another option is velcrow ( I don't know how to spell that ) but the kind you buy at a fabric/craft store.. make it hard enough where you can hear your child trying to get in it, then you can reach them before the trash is out.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• we turn ours around so she can't get into it but is still easy access for us...
    misunderstood1

Answer by misunderstood1 at 8:43 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We have 2 different garbage cans that are toddler proof :)
    One we got at target... it has a little button you have to push to open it... it's plastic and it cost less than $50 but I don't remember how much. I can't find it online.
    The other we got at bed bath and beyond and is like this
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14922865
    The silver thing in the picture locks it closed. The can is a little smaller though than the one we got at Target... but it's nicer.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:52 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• If you have a garage you can put it in there. I think that you can find one at Wally World or Target though. Not sure. I just told my daughter not to do it and put her in time out if she kept getting in there. She used to love to take things out.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 4, 2010