• In the Spotlight:

Do you think increased breastfeeding or pumping can be associated with panic attacks?

I've had panic attacks for the last 4 years. I've been able to control them well enough to stop myself from going to the ER. Lately I have noticed that when there is a change in the breastfeeding habits of my 4 month old I seem to have more anxiety/panic. At these times I am constantly thinking there is something wrong {with my heart primarily) and I'm dying. Does anyone else experience this with changes in breastfeeding? I think it's all do to hormones.

MaMaMo531

Asked by MaMaMo531 at 8:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Health

• hormones are released during breastfeeding - so called happy hormones. they encourage bonding between mother and infant. if you are maybe susceptible to needing the lift they provide, and you don't get them on time, I guess it's possible you might experience a sort of withdrawal from it. This is pure supposition, but I wouldn't say you are crazy for thinking it. perhaps you can try pumping when you can't bf and see if it staves off the panic attacks. also, if you think you are becoming anxious about the schedule being off, and you think that is the source, you may want to address it that way. sometimes just experience and reassurance that you are doing it right can give you enough to help you be more at ease.

teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Not to say that my case is the same, but I had my first panic attack when I was breastfeeding my first son. A lacatation nurse actually recommended that I find another adult to sit quietly with me or read quietly too me while we sat in my favorite spot and let my baby nurse, either for nourishment or for comfort nursing. I actually helped. In 2 or 3 days I noticed I was coping better. The panic attacks didn't dissappear totally, I just had a routine that made me feel safe and actually did what the PP said before me, released the hormones by breastfeeding that I needed to relax. Hope that this helps you. Please hang in there. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 9:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I breastfeed and do experience anxiety at times, but not sure if it is related, perhaps it can just be my surrounds and the other kids running around...:)) Our bodies are still going thru changes and we are very hormonal...we do get chemical imbalances.. I would consult with your doctor if you have further concerns.
    I will say this, when I do breastfeed, i go to a quite place, like the babies room, I need to be calm and relaxed so baby can be calm and relaxed and enjoy her feeding better. sometimes our feelings affect the milk productions and therefore, baby becomes fuzzy...
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2008