How do the "soccer moms" deal with dinner time?

we have 7 after school ativies and I could really use some advies about dinner time. The activites go start at 3:30 and go till 5:30.

four2bmws

Asked by four2bmws at 7:37 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Slow cooker, timer on the oven for lasagnas, meat pies
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Timer on the oven ?
    four2bmws

Comment by four2bmws (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• ya slow cooker. When I worked before having my first DD I worked 3-4 days a week and some overtime if needed. I worked 7am-7pm so what I did is I would go grocery shopping and by things that I could make in the crock pot for the days I worked and then I would cook it in there allday until I got home.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:41 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Crockpot! I use mine A LOT during soccer season. That way we can eat either before or after the kids' activities (depending on when they end).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 7:41 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I don;t understand your question? If the activities are over at 5:30PM, why is dinner not feasible? If you have "quick prep" foods on hand, or prepare re-heatable meals ahead of time--like pasta, chicken, or casserole dishes, then you only need to heat up some veggies or other side dish. Once in a while you can get a pizza or Chinese food (or something along those lines).

But, if all of the afterschool activities are making it impossible to eat dinner together or get homework and school projects done in a timely fashion, then perhaps the afterschool activities need to be put on hold until everyone gets into a reliable and effective routine.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• any spageti and meat ball recipie for the slow cooker
    four2bmws

Comment by four2bmws (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• The kids are normally Very hungery once we get home and it is normaily 6pm when we get home.
    four2bmws

Comment by four2bmws (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• McDonald's?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• We have a lot of evening activities and I do a lot of slow cooker/crock pot dinners. I'll also do things in the oven that can go low and slow like roast chicken or pot roast. Also, things like homemade soups and stews that can be cooked in the morning and quickly reheated for dinner. Pasta dishes are quick to cook and can be light if you don't do a heavy sauce. Also, check out Robin Miller's recipes at Food Network, she cooks bigger on the weekends to make extras for week night meals that don't seem like leftovers.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I try to prepare ahead of time. When I do have a night at home and I'm cooking, I do double. If I cook with onion and bellpepper, I cut one for the meal I'm cooking and one to put in the frig. That way everything is fast an easy when I only have 30 min to have food on the table.
    sarah427

Answer by sarah427 at 9:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2010