I have grounded my 7 year old for the rest of the day....do you think

I am being too easy or too hard on him. We live in an area where all the neighbor hood kids play together and have a blast. I allow my children to play in the front and backyard of a few of their friends and at the park which I can see the entrance and front area of from my front window.
Anyways, my 7 yr old asked me if he could play with his friend at the park. I said yes! He goes and plays at the park...all good. Then he gets TOO hot and decides to go and play in his friends backyard. I go to find him at the park but he isn't there! I find him in his friends backyard and bring home while I explain he is grounded for the rest of the day for not telling me where he was playing. He is devastated but I want him to get the message. TELL ME WHERE YOU ARE GOING TO BE PLAYING! Why is it so hard for him to get that message.

bookworm23

Asked by bookworm23 at 7:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't think that was too harsh at all. It sent the message that, for the day, since he could not be trusted to follow the rules by playing with friends, then he cannot play with them anymore today. You weren't "punishing" him, you were actually teaching him, by shrinking down his world for the day. Tomorrow is a new day and he can start over and try again. I think that sends a VERY good message. I think you did great! FYI: My 7 yr old also seems to "FORGET" a lot of routine things. lol!
    vallygirl1979

Answer by vallygirl1979 at 9:32 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Thats good, but next time make it clear that the consequence will be more.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:42 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think that's a decent punishment. That's a serious thing, you need to know where he is. And if he's devastated, it'll get the point across.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 7:42 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I dont think it's too harsh. Stick to your guns, the day is almost over anyway. Tell him that you would love to let him play but he scared you and you aren't ready to let him out of your sight yet.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 7:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I don't think you're being too hard on him, I would have done the same thing. My kids know I want to know where they are and that they need to report in. It's not too much to ask.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• As long as he knew that there was a rule about informing you before switching locals then I think it's perfectly fine. My kids are allowed to play all over our neighborhood but have to tell me when they are going out and if they plan to be at someone's house or run over to the park (which is down the street). If they just disappear on me then they are in all sorts of trouble. A couple weeks ago my 10yo asked to go "outside" (they don't usually have to ask, just tell me where they are going) and I said sure. When we went to go to the store an hour later she was no where to be found. We looked all over the place and at the park. Finally one of the other kids rang the bell next door to see if they knew where she was and she was at their house. She ended up grounded to her bed the rest of the day. She kept saying I told her she could go outside and I was like, "you weren't outside, you were next door."
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Punishments fits the crime. YEA for parenting!
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 7:54 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I'll stick to my guns for sure...and next time it will be for longer. Right  now I just sent him shopping with his dad to get runners for school.  Figure  llittle daddy time will be good fro him.   He is generally a really good kid but lately he has been saying "sorry I forgot" to too many things that he knows he is supposed to do it is frustrating.

bookworm23

Comment by bookworm23 (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My boy most definitely knew he was supposed to let me know before he moved onto the new location. All 3 children know they have to let me know where they are...sometimes they carry walkie talkies so they don't have to come home to do it!
    bookworm23

Comment by bookworm23 (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• sounds fair to me.. he just might remember to come let you know next time!
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 8:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2010