What if you found out you were wrong...

and what you believe in was actually the opposite of how things really are? Like, what if you don't believe in Heaven or God, and you found out they both most definitely exist? On the other hand, what if you do believe and found out neither of it existed?

Would you be scared? Would you change the way you live?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 8:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I figure if I do believe (which I do) and I'm wrong, then I've lost nothing but if I don't believe and I'm wrong, then I've lost everything.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Same answer it always is, If I'm wrong I'm wrong. Any god worth worshipping would judge me on the merit of my character and not the lip service I did or didn't pay. They would look at the person I was and how I treated others, a god who did any differently wouldn't be worth worshipping. So I'm not going to waste time sweating over what if I'm wrong. I'm simply going to live life the best I know how and be true to myself and things will fall into place.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Nope. I'm a good person. And you shouldn't do good deeds just to receive a reward in the end.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 8:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would change nothing of the way I live in this home and life we do not lie, cheat, steal or hurt anyone with words or actions including all life on Earth. We believe in love for that is the reason for being.
    TessLea

Answer by TessLea at 8:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Haha, we answer this like every week. It wouldn't matter to me. I live my life with love and compassion because I feel that's what's right, and even if I found out there was no God I would still believe these are things that are important. So while God is a part of my beliefs, they are not bound to His existence. There would be some of my beliefs that would fall way, but there would be others that would be able to stand on their own. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If there turned out to be a god of some sorts...I truly, honestly believe that how I've lived my life so far would be how they wished for me to live it. Full of mistakes, learning, love, patience, tolerance, caring, forgiveness, and my ever evolving self. I wouldn't change a thing about how I live my life. Even if they asked me too, for the simple fact that I needed to "save" myself more....I wouldn't.
    My heart is my spiritual leader and always will be.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If you don't currently believe, would you start worshiping?

Well as it currently stands the only way to find out is if I were to die, so probably not. After I die, well it would depend on what kind of "God" it was. Just because it would be a god does not make it automatically deserving of my worship. I'm kind of stubborn like that.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• "If you don't currently believe, would you start worshiping?"

No. I don't believe in worshipping anything. And I don't believe any kind of god would require worship...as this is the attribute of a vain, egotistical human. Not a god.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It would change nothing for me. The ONLY way for all my beliefs to be completely wrong would to be if there was proof that there was no Gods, no spiritual world and no afterlife... If this is true, great, no problem... It wouldn't change how I live today. I don't live for the afterlife or some spiritual reward, I live for today...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't change a thing. I definitely wouldn't start worshipping.  I think it is sad if the only reason you are living a good moral life is because of god.  It should be in your heart. if it's not your a phony.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 8:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2010