How many times a day or week is considered a normal bowel movement?

I was just wondering cause me and my friend were talking and she said she goes three times a day.... is that normal? I mean I know this is a gross subject but it made me think am I going enough..... maybe that is why I seem bloated and fat.... or do you think that she is using fiber or laxatives to make her go so much like a weight gain fear kind of thing? How many of you use Fiber supplement? Should I use it is there a benefit to using them do they make you feel lighter? I only go every couple of days..... or sometime every three days... uggggnow I am freaking out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Health

• You should go after every meal and first thing in the morning. If you only go a few times a week all that stuff is sitting in you making you toxic. Fiber supplements help flush your colon and help flush fat out of your system. Very often you will have crazy looking bm's for the first few weeks because all that impacted goop is getting out of your system. Then your stomach gets flatter. As long ad you are not having loose stools, it's good to go a lot but it is bad for you to not go enough.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 9:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• She is either very healthy or has a very fast metabolism. We're supposed to go once for every meal, so thats perfectly normal/healthy. But some ppl do have slowere digestive tracts. It could also be that some one who doesn't go enough isn't getting enough fiber, or is overeating so that their body can't get rid of the waste as quickly as its going in. Where ever you may fall, as long as you eat well and go often enough that you are comfortable (no blockage) then your prob fine.
    sarah427

Answer by sarah427 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• you're not going enough, and you're right.... that's why you feel bloated. but i think once a day is normal. try to increase your fiber, drink more water, eat more fresh fruits and take a probiotic every day. that should help
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I go once a day,everyday. I do eat alot of fiber,but do not take supplements.
    IMO,you're not going enough

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• it's only bad when you stool is loose and you go several times a day...that indicates a virus and cuz dehydration. if it's formed, soft and has no darkness or blood in it, going 3X is ok. each person should go at least 1X a day and if not then every other day. anything more than that you should increase your fluid intake, start eating more fruits and veggies and workout to get the bowels moving
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• They say at least once a day.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• 3 times a day is what it should be and it should be "s" shaped...bloating and gas are a sign of constipation and should increase water and fiber intake and stay away from apple juice and anything with pectin and also dairy...(.pectin will "bind" your stools up )
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Also a sign of being regular is going at the same time everyday, say in the morning or after work just as long as the time is regular everyday your good to go
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I usually go twice a day... no interventions to help that along except a few cups of coffee

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2010