when is a good time to quit using a baby monitor?

my son is almost ten and a half months old. his room is right next to ours. so we can hear anything through the walls. we still use his monitor at night. we use it more as comfort for ourselves knowing we can hear him then actually needing it. he is usually quiet at night. i was wondering when a good time to stop using the monitor would be?

xavierlogan09

Asked by xavierlogan09 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i stopped using it when i switched them over to a toddler bed.... around 1 1/2. i am just afraid i wouldn't hear it if they climbed out of the crib. once they have their toddler bed i just baby-proof their room extra good and i don't really care if they get up early and play lol. i have a baby gate so they can't go wandering around the house
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• whenever you're most comfortable. I don't think there's any hard and fast rule. I think we stopped using it when they were consistently sleeping through the night.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 8:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• We stopped using it when our sons were sleeping through the night, and/or capable of quietly entertaining themselves in their cribs if they woke in the middle of the night or early. I believe that was at about 9-10 months old.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• if you don't really need it anyway...i would say anytime. i never used one with my son because we lived in a small apartment.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 8:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• whenever YOU feel comfortable with hit.
    My sons are 11 years old and 14 months old. The master bed room is on the complete opposite side of the house from the kids bedrooms. My 11 year old has autism and will not get out of bed when sick. I have found him in the AM covered in vomit already. We keep a monitor on the hall table outside their rooms.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Honestly I never used a monitor. Our DD's room was near ours and we heard the slightest noise when it came to her and our surroundings. I know several mothers who continued to use theirs until preschool. When the kiddo's get up and get out of their bed they wanted to hear them, or if they went down for a nap that they actually stayed down and not play or whatever the reason. If you and your hubby are comfortable still using it then by all means continue to do so. I dont think there is a guideline for such things =)
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Yesterday.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 8:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2010