How long does it take for the antibotics to make mastitis feel better?

I have had a clog all day long and have been trying hard to drain it but now it seems like mastitis has kicked in. I am getting my rx tonight, how long until this pain stops!? It is the most painful things. I feel terrible and can't even sit or lay down comfortabley. :(

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 9:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had a clogged milk duct and I got it to release by standing in the shower in HOT water and massaging the area...even though it was very painful. I actually felt it release and immediately felt better.

Just a suggestion to try maybe, couldnt hurt.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• The antibiotics will only clear an infection. The duct has to get cleared for the pain to go. Have you tried nursing with baby's chin toward the clog? You may need to lay baby down and dangle the breast over at the right angle to do this.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i agree did the doc say it was an infection? i would try a hot shower along wit the ABX and what i did (even tho i wasn't clogged) was put frozen cabbage leaves to help release and dry up...not saying you want it dried up.
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 9:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Try this essential oil blend
    1 part eucalyptus 2 parts lavender 3 parts chamomile

Rub it on the hot spot. It takes the pain out. It will loosen the clog and help it pass. Hot showers or heating pads, nursing with the chin toward the clog, massage, nurse nurse nurse.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2010