no more cereal?

Angelli is almost 7 months and has never turned away from any type of food, she always ate her cereal with her fruits n veggies now all the sudden she is turning her nose at it! She eats the fruits n veggies plain but that doesn't fill her up...I just started her on chicken for the first time today and she likes it but can she eat the food with out eating any cereal will that be enough? Or is there something else I should try? Thank you for all your answer!

angsmommy

Asked by angsmommy at 9:13 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cottage cheese
    smashed potatos
    yogurt

My mom wound up throwing things in a blender to puree it as much as possible-apparently, I would only eat what they were eating. She said I ate a LOT of cottage cheese, smashed potatoes and yogurt
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Ah, she's developed some good taste. **grin**

Remember that her MAIN nutrition comes from breastmilk or formula. As long as she's getting one of those FIRST she's fine. Solids are an EXTRA. While they need to be nutritious (and sorry but cereal is of the McNuggest family of nutrition), they are not a major source of nutrition in year one.

You're doing FINE. Change NOTHING. If she never eats another bite of rice cereal she'll still be absolutely perfect.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Cereal isn't a good filler and before a year old, food is only for practice and fun. It is not for nutrition or filling them up. Feed her more breastmilk or formula and always feed that before food. She is old enough to eat real food and not jar food.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I always just pureed whatever we were eating, minus some of the seasonings, although my son has always been crazy about spicey food.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 9:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• my oldest daughter stopped eating sereal at 7mos and the dr told me as long as she is eating everything else then thats find.. do font worry.. she is getting plenty
    mjsmom09

Answer by mjsmom09 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• she is old enough now that you could try something different..... how about bake sweet potatoes in the oven and then mash them with a little bit of breast milk or formula (whatever you use) and you can do that with regular potatoes too. but imo she is old enough to be eating normal food (yes, smash it up or dice it.... depends on the food)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I don't blame her, that stuff is icky!! She should be "filling up" on human milk or formula... solids are just extra. So, no worries. Get rid of the icky over-processed cereal and don't think any more about it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Babies never need cereal or baby food. They can start fork mashed food they feed themselves at 6 mo. Baby cereal is hard to digest and causes constipation.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Can't blame her. Cardboard tastes better :) Give her the good stuff. Whatever delicious and nutritious food you are eating. IF she she doesn't eat much, its not a big deal. All her nutrition comes from breastmilk or formula.
    Baby led solids (table food)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:12 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• cereal isn't absolutely necessary, just make sure she gets iron from other sources. meat and dark green veggies will do her just fine. And keep trying the cereal if you still want her to get it, she might just change her mind on you again.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:35 AM on Sep. 4, 2010