wat can i do about mice withough hurting my kids?

so they just took the apartment next door down i guess they are rebuilding the whole house so my upstair neighbor had been complaining about having little rats ever since they took the other house down so now today as i was cleaning and moving stuff around i was tryign to toodler proof my house and i was moving stuff around and i found a little tiny one well it ran. i really dont want this things here because of my kids i clean every day and its always clean no food outside so any ideas on what i can do or put or what they do like. something to make them leave. withough hurting my sons so no really strong chemicals

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• glue traps! just make sure you put them out of his reach, like on counters or in cabinets, or you will have a VERY sticky mess. trust me! lol (my son decided he could try to be spiderman. took me hours to get the glue off the walls and his hands.) as long as he can't get at them, you're safe.
    Tigrlily07

Answer by Tigrlily07 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• hmm, well they do have these traps that the mouse goes into and it closes so they can't get out. there is poision in there.... i would worry about baby getting into glue traps (and i think it's so gross that sometimes they will chew their leg off to escape a glue trap). i would go with the poision trap and put it inside the cupboards with a baby lock or behind somewhere that baby can't reach. either that or get hubby some claritin lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• The small round hockey puck looking traps are crap.

I used the old fashioned snap traps. I would put them out after the kids went to bed so that I didn't have to worry about them touching it and getting hurt. I found that they worked best when you put 2 of them butt to butt. This way the mouse would stop to eat the bait on one and get nabbed by the other
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• can't you get a cat? seriously that is the best way
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• but i have to agree, cats rock. (the glue trap in question came from my neighbor's yard. lol but a friend of mine uses them with great success.)
    Tigrlily07

Answer by Tigrlily07 at 9:19 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I used to get these hands free traps. I never had to touch the darn things. Then I search the house and found a small hole in the garage. I fixed it and I did not see a mouse in that house again.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You can get traps and put cheese on them. Or de-con is what kills them they eat it and then that will slowly kill them but with children you want to put the de-con where your children can't touch it or get to it. You want to get them out ASAP they will get to your wires and chew at them and they will make a lot of noise while your home is completely quite. Call pest control.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I had small one in my house and had a panic attack. They are really number one on my list of fears. The automatic traps never work its like the mouse knew it was a trap. LOL! So I had to buy different traps because I got tired of staying with my parents until the mouse was caught LOL. I had like 5 of those traps in each room along with the old fashioned snap traps and the electronic mouse thingy u plug in the wall thats supposed to send waves to keep them away, and I had glue traps! Out of all of these things the 1.00 snap trap caught him.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 9:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Put traps under all sinks and in cabinets you find poop, behind the stove and the fridge and make sure they are along the wall , they like to find their way along the walls. use peanut butter because they can steal the cheese without setting off the trap. also if you have wall vents that you can take the cover off set a trap in those as well. closets are good places for traps...you do not need any harsh chemicals just the plain old traps work very well
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 9:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would just stick with poison. I know you didn't want to use it an I understand but it's the best way...if a cat isn't an option... You can put it under your sinks with a latch on the doors so kids can't open them, put it behind the fridge where kids can't get. I would put one on the pantry floor in the very back and then child proof the door. In my experience and unfortunately it's a lot rats/mice don't fall for traps. They can get the cheese and trip the trap with out ever getting caught. like 10 traps caught one rat all were triggered. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2010