about birth control and weight loss

I have heard that if you are on birth control it can make it harder to lose weight. Is there any truth to this?

JessicaF1120

Asked by JessicaF1120 at 9:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• i've gained weight everytime i've been on the shot or the pill.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 9:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• but a little extra weight is better than another mouth to feed.
    myboogiewoogie

• I've definitely heard this and seen it in friends (I don't take hormonal b/c due to a chemical imbalance, they just make it worse)

there is non-hormonal b/c out there though. like a copper IUD, condoms, diaphragms, etc.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 9:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Yes it can cause some wieght gain like 5 pounds anymore than that and you need to switch birth control.
    twototsmom

Answer by twototsmom at 9:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I did not gain weight on b/c even though I was looking forward to gaining about 10. It was very disappointing. I was on: various pills, the patch, and the shot.
    Ilovepie77

Answer by Ilovepie77 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• uh yeah i was on implanon and it made me gain 20lbs that i just lost from having my son. I went almost a year dieting and working my ass off for 7lbs! I got off of it and lost 15lbs in a week, then i got on Yaz and I've still been losing some weight! So yeah you just have to find what works for you.
    Jessimica

Answer by Jessimica at 12:55 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• thank you ladies....i have been trying to lose weight...exercising trying to eat right and i just am not losing it and didn't know if it could be my b/c
    JessicaF1120

Answer by JessicaF1120 at 6:31 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I got the Copper IUD and I actually weigh less now then I did before I got pregnant...I was down to my pre-pregnant size by 6mos and my son is now 10mos..I do eat small portions and I exercise constantly...I'm not one to sit at home, so I'm always lugging my son around:)

Good Luck Momma:)
    Masonyastesmom

Answer by Masonyastesmom at 3:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• YES.
    i gainted 40lbs on depo...they warned me..its true. then implanon as well. your hormones control your weight in many ways....
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I have been on depo for 6 months and i have only gained 5 pounds. I haven't watched what i ate or even exercised so I thought that cant be too bad. It's definately better than another kid. until I am ready.
    emmysmommy20

Answer by emmysmommy20 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2009