Teacher refuses to follow my son's 504 plan.

We finally got the high school my 15 yo DS attends to evaluate him for an IEP at the end of last year. He didn't qualify but they did vote him in as at risk and set up a 504 plan. He is supposed to get a tutor, pre-made notes and weekly emails to me with his assignments. One of his teachers has informed me via email that she will not email assignments to me. I sent this message on to the school counselor and decided to let this settle for a little while before I act. Has anyone had a teacher refuse to participate in a 504? IF so, how did you handle the situation?

babyboyzz

Asked by babyboyzz at 9:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/504faq.html check this out. (i know, it says chicago. but it's basically the same as everywhere else. )
    make sure you read #9, 10, & 11
    Tigrlily07

Answer by Tigrlily07 at 9:41 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• They can refuse? Forget the school counselor I would be wanting answers from the principal! Wow, I can't imagian what I would do if my sons teacher decided to disregard my son's IEP. I think I would be at the school flaming.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You need to go to the school princpal and if they will not do something about the teacher not following then go to the the school board.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:31 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It's the law! She can't refuse. I would be going to the principle immediately. Don't let it set at all!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Let the school know you will hire an attorney, go the distance, your child is worth it. Too many teachers don't want to be bothered, oh well, by law they can't not follow the 504 plan. The school gets extra money for special ed, 504 doesn't fall under that catagory so if you don't stay on top of it the plan could fall through the cracks.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 9:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• talk to the teacher. she may not be aware of a couple of fine points of the 504. if need be, contact the superintendent. and so on till you get someone's attention. BY LAW they HAVE TO follow the 504 plan. That plan gives him rights, mama!
    Tigrlily07

Answer by Tigrlily07 at 9:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You may want to contact the school and have them explain the difference between an IEP, and the 504 plan. From what I know they aren't required to go by any plan if he didn't qualify for the IEP. GL, I hope it all works out for him.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Well,,,she must not be a very bright teacher if she sent this in an e-mail that can be used as evidence against her. But thats good for you. Forget the counselor and go to the principle. If you cant get anything from the principle...GO TO THE SUPERINTENDENT,,,,he or she would just love to have this sitting on their plate. Good luck
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would be alerting the proncipal and school board. IMMEDIATELY!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Email her back a copy of his plan and a copy of the laws and copy his principle and dean.Be very ,very nice in the email.Tell her perhaps she was unaware blah blah and don.t make any threats.My niece is mildly dyslexic and every year in high school there was one obnoxious teacher. My sis was also the Asst.Prin. at a feeder elem. school and even after learning this they would continue to deny my nieces plan.Did they really think she of all people would back down.She learned after her daughters second year in H.S to copy everything from the start to the prin.and,dean it just makes compliance quicker.She didn't want special just what the plan called for.Keep and print everything!!!!!

drfink

Answer by drfink at 4:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2010