my daughter is sixteen months old and walking around furniture and holding our hands but will not attempt to walk on her own. she will even stand up still without support but sit down when she realizes what's going on. Should I be worried?

JenniferLCG

Asked by JenniferLCG at 9:45 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• nope. keep doing as your doing when the kiddo feels like walking she will. sometimes it's kind of a process tho :)
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 9:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Does she appear to be strong enough to walk, but is only being cautious? My oldest daughter was so cautious that she refused to even try to walk until she knew for sure she could do it....she was around 16 months old and one day she finally just took off and could run, walk, and did not "toddle" she looked as if she had been walking a long time...she did the same with sitting up and refused to sit up until 10 months old even though you could tell she could do it but would not.....if she doesn't look strong enough, I would take her to the doctor and ask...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• nah. she'll get to it eventually. my theory was always, don't worry if they're finding ways to get around on their own, even if they're not walking on their own.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 9:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't be. My son started walking at 17 months. He didn't start crawling until 11 months, so I wasn't to surprised he was walking later.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 9:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• When you go to the top of a staircase and lean forward without holding on how do you feel? Do you feel safe to fall down those steps? Most likely not, I would hope not. You would feel scared and you would catch yourself before you tumbled down those stairs. That goes the same for any infant/toddler who is learning to walk. It's scary to take that first step, especially since their balance isn't that great. They're still learning to hold themselves up, keep themselves from fall, etc. It's perfectly normal for them to be a little hesitant about taking that first step. The important thing is she is temping more mobile methods. Even if she hasn't quite taken her first solo step. She's perfectly in line with what she's doing. Help her and encourage her, but don't rush her. She'll get it in time.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• give her time.. give her security & she will do it in time .. i dont see any 7yo's walking around holding the walls ;-) ...
    My dd took her first step trying to go from our chair to our couch -- which is about 1-2 babysteps... so maybe think of lil' steps around your home like that she can take?
    also sit in the floor with your hand *just* out of her reach and see if she will do it.. just stay happy about it & give her a finger if you have to in the beginning..
    But again. no need to rush.. It will happen! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't be! My DD had spinal cord surgery and they said that they aren't concerned about any kid not walking until after 18 months. My DD just turned 2 and still isn't walking.
    anglgrl03

Answer by anglgrl03 at 10:00 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• if she just acts scared, that's probably all it is.. try holding out toys for her from a distance when she stands and applaud her when she stands and takes a step..

if she acts more like it's difficult discuss it with your doctor.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• No, do not worry! That's how I was with my son and he did all those things you just said. He was just afraid of letting go but at 20 months old (yes, 20 months old) he FINALLY let go and is walking on his own now!
    ixadorexpink

Answer by ixadorexpink at 1:31 PM on Sep. 4, 2010