yet another question about my cat getting all his back teeth pulled out

i had a visit with the vet dentist and the quote they gave me for the procedure was 3,000! i almost fell off the bench lol. i really can't afford that obviously, but i feel bad for him because i know now that's how he ended up at the shelter. the original owner must have found out he had this condition and then found out the price and gave him up. the shelter should have disclosed that to me when i adopted him, but that's another post lol. so my question is does anyone know are there special places that do dental surgery cheaper than the regular vet? i'm asking around with my friends, but it can't hurt to ask here too lol. i really don't want to give him up over a money issue..... he's a sweet old man

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 9:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Pets

• I am sorry. This does seem a lot, we've had various teeth extracted from our cats and it never ran above maybe $25-$35 each. plus anesthesia. Ask around at other vets, and even ask the vets for ideas for cheaper care. You can explain that the cat is a rescue- although I don't know that that would help. Poor kitty. I feel badly for him.

Answer by Bmat at 9:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• That does seem a little high...what's the cat's condition, exactly, that's causing this? I rescued a big ol' persian last year and we had to have a bunch of her teeth pulled out. She has to gum at her food now, lol, poor thing, but I'm pretty sure it cost us about 800 total...we did a few teeth at a time. I felt bad having to keep taking her back but we couldn't afford it any other way.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 9:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• he has a condition that causes his gums to swell and over-react to the normal bacteria found in the mouth. the vet (i have had 3 tell me the same thing) said basically the only way to treat it is to have all the molars and pre-molars pulled, and then he will get steroid shots to keep the condition from coming back. it's a kind of auto-immune disease, but the name is pretty complex so i forget lol
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 9:58 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Can you wait till Dental Discount months January-April I believe you get reduced rates(off extractions,bloodwork,,etc)-sorry I am unfamiliar with the condition that your kitty has so I don't know if you can wait or not. G/L
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 6:44 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• That still seems very expensive. I had an old man cat that needed his teeth pulled and it was only a couple hundred dollars total, but he didn't have an auto-immune disease, just bad teeth.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• pure baby, iam sorry i have no idea.i wish you and him all the best
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 12:14 AM on Sep. 8, 2010