Now that I have a newborn and a toddler how do I go to the store and use a cart?!

I use to put my son's infant carrier in the front of the shopping cart but where does the toddler go? Any ideas for a toddler that lets say will not walk beside me? I guess I could place him in the back but I can see that nightmare now. Any ideas? What does everyone else do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i put the toddler in the front of the cart and the infant carrier accross the back of the shopping cart. it works out good.... it hooks onto the side so it's very stable and there is plenty of room to put stuff in the basket
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• We do that, too. Either the carrier went into the cart or across the back of it (I've never put it on the seat...the one we had when the kids were little didn't fit so I never got into the habit).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:54 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• im 7 months preg. and have a 2 year old iv wondered this question myself my mom suggested one of them toddler leashes so i can put infant seat in front and load my buggy without her opening everything im not a fan of the leash the thought of my child being drug around like a dog but its about the only option i have or i thought about maybe getting a infant sling and holding the baby against my chest while my toddler sits in front Good Luck!!
    aggheff08

Answer by aggheff08 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Put the toddler in the cart seat and the infant in a sling or other carrier for your body.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I did it when my kids were babies....they were 14 months apart. I taught my oldest son to walk next the cart and not let go of it. But, to make it easier.... I would make my husband go with me...he would push the cart and my kids rode in a double stroller....back in those days we didn't have the snap out carseat/carriers. Once they got bigger, I always got the double seated cart. It was huge and hard to steer but I did it.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i put the toddler in the front of the cart and the infant carrier across the back of the shopping cart. it works out good.... it hooks onto the side so it's very stable and there is plenty of room to put stuff in the basket <<<< yeah... this is what I did too!!! My kids are 2 years apart

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Car seats on the top of grocery carts are not really safe. When my kids were infants, I would put the baby in my Moby wrap. Any sling or carrier would do. Then my toddler would sit in the cart.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 9:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would get one of the carts with the bench seat hooked on the cart. Do you have those there? Then you could put the baby where you want and the toddler can go on the bench.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Put the infant in a sling on the front of you and the toddler in the front of the cart. I suggest a no sew sling (Many videos on how to make one on Youtube.com). They're much more comfortable then traditional commercial wraps and can be adjusted for your body type and position of the child. When the child gets older and you say have two toddlers .. Then you can get the cart with the child seats on the front or you can use two carts if your partner/SO goes shopping with you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would put the toddler in the front and then use the moby wrap or sling for the infant... that way everyone is secure AND you don't have to worry about strangers oogling your baby or trying to touch him/her (that drives me NUTS!). I'll be in the same boat soon with a toddler and an infant.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2010