Jan Brewer lied about the "headless bodies", had a horrible debate and now refuses to do another, can she still win?

PHOENIX - Gov. Jan Brewer rose to national fame defending the state's immigration law and warning of rising violence along the U.S.-Mexico border, including a claim that headless bodies were turning up in the Arizona desert.

But the claim has come back to haunt her after her stammering debate performance in which she failed to back it up and ignored repeated questions on the issue from a scrum of reporters.

Brewer has spent the time since backtracking and trying to repair the damage done from her cringe-worthy debate against underdog challenger Terry Goddard.

"That was an error, if I said that," the Republican told The Associated Press on Friday. "I misspoke, but you know, let me be clear, I am concerned about the border region because it continues to be reported in Mexico that there's a lot of violence going on and we don't want that going into Arizona."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.orangejuiceblog.com/2010/07/arizona-governor-jan-brewer-under-investigation-for-ties-to-private-prisons-that-could-benefit-from-sb-1070/

Of course she lied, she did not misspeak.  Don't you realize their is another motive besides just politics.  Her and her group have a vested interest in locking up illegals.  It's all about the money.  That's why she would lie about be headings.  The more illegals they get in prison.  The more money they will make.  Illegal crimes have been down in Arizona.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Funny how the pubs LIE, but the dems merely mis-speak, or get tired, or have some other excuse to pull out of their sleeve. It's nice to know that the double standard is still going strong! Just so that we know where we stand.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• "I can tell you there's been 300 to 500 beheadings and dismemberments along that border," state Sen. Russell Pearce said Thursday. "It is a national security concern, yet we're worried about this game-playing, this word-smithing.

This is from your article...

Obama said his Dad served in some war. He didn't. It was his grandfather that served. He misspoke. I accepted that. This lady is referring to an actual problem in the region, and got the area a couple of miles off. I accept that as a mistake, too. I can honestly say if I lived close to Mexico right now with all the problems they are having with the drug cartels I'd be freaking out.

Now, if you play me a tape of her calling Illegal immigrants some kind of funky awful street slang, I'll get on board the she's a racist train.
    This, I think, is a mistake.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• well, she's certainly not the first politician to misspeak.

Illegal immigration is a big deal right now, you know?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:58 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Oh please. So according to you she "lied." I think we've already established that she's a politician and ALL politicians "embellish" from time to time. It's only because she's Republican and *gasp* is forcing the Federal Government to uphold written LAWS on immigration, that she has your panties in wad!! LOL If she were a Democrat and caught lying, you'd defend her by saying "she was tired, she's trying really hard, or she's cleaning up someone else's mess!" Just more double standards by liberals!! LOL!!! :oP

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• There was an interview on All Things Considered this afternoon about the debate; Melissa Block talked with a columnist from the Arizona Republic and asked if the stumble would hurt her chances. He said it might hurt her chances of ever being Sarah Palin's running mate, but she'll be re-elected because of the immigration law. He said the other candidates have too long a road to catch up on.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:20 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I just don't like to throw that racist word out there so freely.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• This was her QUOTE...that LAW ENFORCEMENT FOUND THEM....

like border patrol?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Guess we'll find out in 60 DAYS!!! :o) I think she still has a chance...a STRONG chance!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2010