When you teenager doesn't want to talk and you know something is bothering them, How do you get them to talk?

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 10:13 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• 1. Just ask if they want to talk & say your always there when they are ready... Try to always assure them no judgements, no punishments.. I NEVER talked to my parents cause of that.. My parents would hold whatever i said for future reference (they would never say it right out, but i knew) or I would straight up get the 3rd degree..
    2. Try texting them... For whatever reason typing is such an easier form of communication! I am known to write my dh a letter on Facebook instead of talking to him.. It gives me a change to think about what i need to say & its just easier.. talking can be difficult.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:31 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Just let them know when/if they want to talk you are there. When I was a teen I HATED when my parents tryed to force me to talk..it only made me go farther into my shell...
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Teenagers don't want to talk to adults. Teenagers know EVERYTHING and adults are LAME and STUPID.

Good luck!

Maybe try e-mailing them, writing them a letter or somethign where they don't have to do the face-to-face thing and they may feel more open and free to express themselves.

If it is something serious or extreme then you need to sit them down in a non-confrontational way and just let them know that you are there for them and always willing to listen. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:19 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have teens and honestly sometimes they just dont want to talk,,period. Yes they are going thru something, I know it is hard as heck to let it go,,but pressuring them when they arent ready to talk about it, isnt going to help. Just let them know you are there if they want to talk.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You don't get them to talk until they are ready to talk and pushing it will push them away...wait for a long car ride or something, kids usually talk in cars when there is just the 2 of you. so you will just have to wait...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You keep the atmosphere clear and you wait until they are ready to talk to you. You don't question, you don't push, and you don't prod. You just love them continuously the way they want you to love them, and you wait. When the time is right for them, they will tell you probably more than you want to hear!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:58 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I agree with the texting option. If you think it is something really serious, and maybe this is wrong. You could quickly glance at their facebook page or texts . I know it is an invasion of privacy and depends on the age of the teen. I know many parents won't allow a facebook page unless they have the password. You can learn so much about whats going on in a teens life by looking at facebook or texts. With all the talk cyber-bullying in the news lately you can't be too careful. I don't know how he did it, but the assistant Principal at my daughter's middle school somehow gains access to student's facebook pages to make sure nothing like that is going on. Creepy but, if a school administrator is looking at you teens facebook, you have that right as a parent.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 7:46 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Wasn't there a desperate housewives episode where the mom pretended to be a young girl online so she could find out what her son was up to? Try that. lol
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 10:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2010