I'm a first time mom-to-be and am 20 weeks. I've only felt my baby once and it felt like bloop bloop bloop and it was wonderful to feel. That was a week ago and haven't felt anything since. Is this normal? I'm on the bigger side I was 200 pounds when I found out I was pregnant and am about 215 now, i was told by a friend because I'm a "fat" girl I'm less likely to feel the baby, is that true?

Souleia

Asked by Souleia at 10:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always thought that if you were heavier it would be harder for OTHER people to feel your baby kick, but not you...but I'm not sure about that. Try drinking something very sweet, like orange juice and then lay down...whenever my son didn't move I would do that and sure enough, within 30 minutes, there was a party in my belly. Also, I've heard eating a big meal sometimes makes them dance, lol. If you're REALLY concerned, you could always schedule another appointment and have them check for the heartbeat.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 10:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• no, your weight doesn't have any impact on when you'll feel the baby.... just on when other people will be able to feel the baby move. afterall, the baby is inside of you.... there's no fat on the inside of your uterus lol. i didn't feel my first baby until 22 weeks. you feel the first baby later, and with each baby you will feel it earlier and earlier after that.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I am very well over 215 and just had my dd 7mnths ago...I felt every kick and move she made..dont always believe what others tell you
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 10:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I felt less with my 2nd baby (and i was heavier by about 35lbs). We don't just develop fat that we can pinch and grab on our outside. We also gain viseral fat which accumulates underneath the muscle and in between our organs. So when you are heavier, this is fat that is between your uterus and other organs and your uterus and your muscle wall. Now that doesn't mean that you won't feel your baby, but you may feel more of the subtle movements when you are thinner.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I remember being at my 20 week ultrasound and being worried that she was moving on screen but I couldn't feel her. I'm also a larger lady, and I didn't feel her move consistently until 22-23 weeks. I felt things before that, but after that I felt her move all the time.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 10:58 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I was over 200lbs with each of my kids (I was 240lbs when I got pregnant the last time) and I sure as heck could feel them all kick and move. Don't worry too much. Once the baby gets a little bigger it will be unmistakable (and uncomfortable, lol). My last one (born in July) NEVER stopped moving. He drove me nuts. Any time I was comfortable in bed he would just start kicking the hell out of me until I moved.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:27 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• When I was pregnant with my third child, I was no small person. After two kids already, I still felt him before twenty weeks. You should be feeling something. Maybe your baby is small, just give him/her a couple more weeks and you will feel much more as they get bigger.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:32 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• At 20 weeks your baby is still quite small. You can go days without feeling her and it is perfectly normal. It's not til after about 28 weeks that you are supposed to feel baby move regularly. Don't worry.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 4:42 AM on Sep. 4, 2010