my ob called and told me I had gestational diabete...:(

anyone have this problem? If you do, what's your meal plan? My OB met with me for a little (one of his patient is in the emergency room so he have to leave) and gave me basic food info, and since it's a long wkend I can't schedule any appt with anyone. Any suggestions or help with what to eat and what not to eat? Thanks in advance

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Google is your best friend on this topic.. It can give you lots of info, risk to you and the baby if you cant control it, and ways to keep your blood sugars in a normal range with diet and exercise. It also can go into more detail about treatments that can be used to help you reach your goals if diet and exercise doesn't give you the results you and your Dr want.. Sites like webmd, mayoclinic, diabetes foundation, etc are really good sites to get easy to understand info.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i had a friend w it that ate we she wanted and didnt listen to the warnings she had a very very large baby, but other than that everything was good, BUT im not saying do what she did but i think if you can take care of yourself everything will be fine, diabietes runs in my family on my mothers side and through pregnancies but ive never gotten it during pregnancies, they did fine and had normal sized babies
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 11:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Keep your carbs low. I had gestational diabetes and you can feel free to message me if you have any questions. My meal plan was breakfast, under 30 carbs total, snack under 15 carbs, lunch under 60 carbs, snack under 15 carbs, dinner under 60 carbs and a last snack under 15 carbs. I ate every 2 hours cause thats what they had me do. Stay away from anything sugary.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:40 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I had GD while pregnant with my DD message me if you want some ideas to hold you over till you either see a DR again, but it;s all about serving size, and ration of protein,starch,etc,
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:55 AM on Sep. 4, 2010