bad 1 grade teacher. What to do?

Education is extremely important to me. I chose the school very carefully. Yet in this school is only 1 bad teacher, known to be abusive to immigrant students. With my luck- my daughter got in class to that teacher. What can I do to change this situation if at all?

help, i never was SO scared for my daughter.

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• uhh, define abusive...because if she's known to be "abusive" she wouldn't still be teaching there...
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 10:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Ask to get her transferred to another teacher? GL.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 10:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• talk to the principle and have the child moved. And then call the school board and tell them that they are allowing unsafe conditions for the kids. Call the news if you have to.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Is your daughter an immigrant student? Then I would go first to the principal and voice your concerns. If s/he doesn't do anything about it now, at least your concerns and objections will be on the record. Then if something does happen, go directly to the superintendent and and school board.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Meet with the principal and let him or her know it is not a right fit. Request to change classes. People do it all the time. You can just say, "I would be more comfortable with a different teacher. I think there is a personality clash." and leave it at that. You don't have to justify yourself to the school.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You control the cards here. You simply go into the board office and demand that she be changed to a different classroom. Remember, you owe no one any explanation. Stay strong and firm.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• how much energy to you have? ask, go up to the next level, ask again~have examples and honest conversations....
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Well, I was told that she does it very quetly, but the self-esteem going down and several kids that i know has to leave the school because of her. She still works there because the director lets it happen, because of high tests results he prefer there to be only Americans, not immigrants...
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• ask for a transfer to another district? it is easier to get out of a high test score area than in (here)...I think she is too young to have to deal with that...on any level...
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Ehhh I don't know. It sounds to me like some kids weren't doing as well and the parents wanted to make it into a race issue. I'm sorry, if something is actually happening, but that's just what it sounds like to me.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 10:54 PM on Sep. 3, 2010