How do you supplement with breast milk & formula?

I have been EBFing for 10 weeks but after I am unable to get milk out with my pump. Not completely but I only get approx. 3-4 oz over 4 pumping sessions. So I am starting to supplement and I am just wondering how other moms go about it? What kind of formula do you use? What are your own personal reasons for supplementing? Do you use powdered or pre mixed formula? How does LO react to it? If you use powdered do you heat it up or just keep your water at room temp? Any insight will be helpful!! =o)

JuLiJuLes5

Asked by JuLiJuLes5 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your out put with the pump is reasonable. An ounce or two peer session of pumping is pretty good for most moms. Also, you are at 10 weeks so your supply is still building. Don't be discouraged about pump out put. You may not need formula at all.

Are you pumping bc you are returning to work? If so, you just need to nurse more often and pump more often now to build your supply. You don't have to feed formula if you don't want to. It's expensive!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Do you pump and then bottle feed it to the baby or are you putting the baby on the breast and then pumping after? Sorry for the extra questions but I really can't answer until I know.. How many wet diapers does the baby have a day? Is the baby gaining weight? Are you wanting to store extra breastmilk?

The amount you are pumping is pretty common after this amount of time.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I returned to work so I am pumping at work. At home i nurse nurse nurs until bed time. Then i pump again at bed time and again in the am once she has nursed. i have tried fenugreek, blessed thistle, mothers milk tea, oatmeal...pretty much everything and that is all I can produce. When i first returned i was getting about 9 oz a day and it has since dropped to no more than 4 which is not enough to feed her while i am gone.
    JuLiJuLes5

Comment by JuLiJuLes5 (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I supplemented with my first child before I really had to (as I realized with my second). Are you pumping approximately at the times your baby eats? When I had to supplement, I used Enfamil DHA with my first. My second was exclusively on breastmilk for 4 months, and he did not take too kindly to formula; Nestle Good Start is the one he finally drank.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Thanks, can you pump one breast while she feeds off the other? Others have been able to do this with success. Can you pump more often at home and at work. Pumping at work about the same time she would eat will help to keep your supply up also. I pumped and worked also, sometimes I could get 9oz sometimes only 2. I kept powder formula at the house just in case. It has been awhile so I don't remember the name.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• The scent of your baby will actually cause you to increase production. Would cosleeping work for you? Can you bring your baby's clothes or blanket with you to work?

Keep up the teas and oatmeal. Lots of water!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I forgot to mention that I used powdered because it was cheaper. I finally got to the point that I couldn't pump enough at work, so I started supplementing when my frozen stash ran out.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You can use massage before pumping to increase the amount you pump. For directions go to google and type in Marmet Technique. Rental pumps work the best. You might want to try renting a pump and see if it does better. You can nurse one breast and pump the other. Things like herbs and oatmeal have never been proven to work in scientific studies.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I tried all the above suggestions but I was not able to feed my baby at first either. We supplemented for the first 3 months until my supply caught up. At that time, I would nurse first (both sides) and when he quit both sides and started crying, he got a bottle to get the rest of the way full. Then when he was 8 months old I went back to work part time, and was gone for 5 hours each weekday. Even though I was easily feeding him enough all day, I could NOT pump enough to last through the time I was gone. I tried everything - my boobs just weren't cooperative, lol. So LO got one bottle of formula during that time I was gone. We used a few different kinds but he got constipated easily - we found Good Start sensitive to be the best for us. And we mostly used room temp water to make the powder, except in the very beginning because he was born in Jan and our tap water is very cold in winter! Good luck mama, do your best.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 12:14 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I had to supplement my son with formula too... he did fine going back and forth between, breast and bottle as well as expressed milk and formula.

We use the bottles called BREASTFLOW and I really liked those.... they are supposed to be more simlar to the breast.

We used Enfamil with my son... I like it much more than Similac. We used powder. My advice is to get slow flow nipples... even as your baby gets older... you don't want the bottle to be easy or he might prefer the bottle over the breast. Many people will talk about "nipple confusion" but it's really flow confusion.

And remember if you are supplementing you need to pump every time you give a bottle or your body will stop making milk. Make sure you have a high quality pump, drink plenty of fluids and try to find a quiet and relaxing place to pump.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:03 AM on Sep. 4, 2010