Is anyone in your family addicted to drugs or alcohol?

Who is it and what are they addicted to? How long have they been using? Do you think they will ever find sobriety? How has it affected you personally?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• my bil is addicted to heroin... in the last 1 1/2 he has been to jail 2x for stealing to afford his habit and has gotten clean and relapsed twice... the last time he was clean for 8 months and was staying with us until we noticed that he was using again... this has affected our family so much... we have had to learn that we cannot help him if he does not want the help and we had to cut off all ties with him for the sake of our kids... sad but true...
    springsmom0322

Answer by springsmom0322 at 10:44 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My husband was addicted to heroin for 18 years.. HE never thought he'd get clean. when I'd only known him for a year or so, someone said we'd make a cute couple. i said i would NEVER date a man like that. I've seen too many of my friends flush their lives down the toilet that way. A couple of years later, I ran back into him. he had been through a year long program (live in) at a place called The Foundry. they help you completely relearn to live life, not just get you off drugs. you work in their stores, you help build their buildings, you have study times. When I saw him again, he was a completely different person. Six months later we were married. I have severe anxiety problems from my first marriage, but funny thing, the one thing i never worry about is relapse. He said all junkies/alcoholics have to have a "that moment" if they're going to quit. If they don't have that, the cycle just starts over.
    Tigrlily07

Answer by Tigrlily07 at 11:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• There is not a pill in the world my younger sister will not take. She tried to steal my father's Tegretol once because the generic name is Carbamazepine. She thought it was Klonopin, generic name Clonazepam. I used to have to lock my sleeping pills up because she would take them. I don't talk to her and I don't think she realizes she has a problem.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• some extended family, mostly addicted to alcohol.
    misunderstood1

Answer by misunderstood1 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Lots of people in my family are to one thing or another. Some it is pot, others it is drinking,some it is pills.. This is not someone in my household so it does not affect me personally. What others do in their home is up to them. And no, I don't think they ever will be sober.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My 21 yr old nephew is living really hard right now. Not sure what all he is into but he doesn't look good, is on the verge of flunking out of college, can't hold down a job, is extremely hostile, and keeps guilt tripping his grandmother (my mother) into helping him out financially with rent/books/tuition, buying him clothes/food/toiletries. I really wish she would cut him off. He's wracking up a ton of student loans and is never going to graduate. Better she cut him off now instead of letting him get any further in debt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• More people then I'd like to talk about. Some have getton clean and some have stopped drinking too. While other sink deeper and deeper in a hole. A few have went to prison for it.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 11:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My brother in law is addicted pot really bad. he will spend the last 5 dollers him and his wife have to there name to get his some pot. he dosent even care that his kids go with out diapers and other necess. as long as he gets his high he cant hold a job and him and his wife argue all the time he says he pot is not addictive and we should leave him alone and go find a crack head to preach to.
    aggheff08

Answer by aggheff08 at 11:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My FIL is an alcoholic.

I am walking a very very narrow line between being in control and being an alcoholic. I was a heavy teenage drinker and my parents put me in AA, but I never finished the program. As an adult, I kinda chalked it up to "teenage immaturity" but I am starting to see more and more that I am only a few steps away from losing control.

When I go out drinking, I never take more then $20. That helps prevent me from getting drunk and losing control. At home, I usually don't drink until after the kids go to bed, but if I have beer in the house, I have to have it. I can't just let it sit, so I try to only by 6pks and not cases.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• my brother. although at the current moment he is clean but it never lasts very long. both alcohol and crack or cocaine. pretty much anything he can get his hands on. i think he is too far gone to ever be free from it for the rest of life. i'm sure he has been using for more than 15 yrs maybe 20. i really don't know. my other brother was into drinking and pot but he has been sober for sometime now.i think he can get and stay sober. i was once addicted to meth. for about 3 yrs i have been sober over 10 yrs now. i did relapse once but it sure reminded and reaffirmed that it was no place i wanted to be.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2010