if your water breaks do you get induced?

my sister is two days overdue and her water just broke. i was wondering if she will be induced? or if they will let her dilate naturally?

xavierlogan09

Asked by xavierlogan09 at 11:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The problem with pitocin isn't that it makes you vomit, it's that it makes labor much more difficult. Women feel they can't do it without an epidural. That can be the beginning of interventions that lead to a c-section. Usually they want a baby to be born within 24 hours of the water being broken because there is an increase in the risk of infection.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Each hospital is different. Since you water breaking signifies labor, I would refuse the drugs until I was not progressing and needed the boost. Pitocin has a nasty habit of making you vomit
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:23 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think most doctors will induce within 24 hours of water breaking. I agree with Maureen; I would avoid pitocin if possible; it made me vomit.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:26 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Honestly, it depends mostly on the hospital and the Doctor and what their practice is. Usually once the water breaks they will admit you and give you a bit to see if you are dialating. If you are then they let you try to do it on your own and if you are not then they induce. You don't want to go too long after your water breaks because it can cause you and the baby issues. Good Luck to your Sister.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• NOT NECESSARILY i SEEN A SHOW WHERE THEY MADE A GIRL WAIT TWO WEEKS
    sorry didnt see the caps
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 11:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• she should start dialating but mine broke and didnt after 11hrs i had petocin started....but either way they normally only give you 24hr-48 hr to have the baby bc of the risk of infection, so if it broke shell be having that baby soon!
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 11:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It will depend on how far she is dilated now or when she goes in to the hospital. Sometimes just because your water breaks doesn't mean you start labor. Also, most doctors won't let you go more than 20 to 24 hours after you water has broke do too risk of infection and stress on the baby. I ran into this with my first pregnancy and wound up having my son c-section.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Yes she may very well be induced if she does not dialate on her own. I was indused for 2 of my 3 children with pitocin and didnt vomit.
    fremes_girl

Answer by fremes_girl at 11:26 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Sometimes they will induce right away if you do not start contractions on your own and other times they can wait up to 12-24 hours before inducing. Any longer than that without inducing can cause problems for you and the baby. Most depends on your ob/gyn and their policy on this.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 11:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• There is a chance. Her best bet is to go relax and go to sleep. She needs rest and her body will most likely start contracting once she is well rested.

I hope she can avoid pitocin, it is awful stuff.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2010