Families say soldiers are victims, thoughts?

LEAVENWORTH, Kan – As major U.S. combat operations in Iraq end, some families of soldiers and Marines convicted of crimes during battle hope the nation doesn't forget their sons.

The men, known as the "Leavenworth 10," were convicted by military courts for the murder of Iraqis over the past seven years. They're serving sentences, which range from 10 to 40 years, at Fort Leavenworth. But their families say it's all an injustice and want other Americans to share their outrage over what happened to their loved ones.

"For a soldier not to get any benefit of the doubt for serving their country, it's a horrible situation," said Vicki Behenna, whose son is serving time at Fort Leavenworth. "Unless you see your men die in battle and don't know where the next (bomb) is coming from, I think it's unfair for us to second-guess their actions."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100903/ap_on_re_us/us_leavenworth10_rally

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:37 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I believe a lot of people were duped into fighting this "war".
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:20 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• There is much more to these soldiers' situations than this article states. The full story is needed in order to give a good analysis of whether or not these men are in prison rightfully. But since it was during a military operation, chances are we will never know the full situation.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:28 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• This is a trick question...I believe there are soldiers that should not be in jail but there are some that are sickos and should be there...My husband happened to meet on of those sick soldiers on his last deployment...
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would have to know the details of each case to make a decision like this. Some may be scape goats and others deserving of their sentences. I have no doubt that the family members believe in the innocence of their particular family member.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:03 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I can't even begin to imagine what our soldiers go through when in a war, so I would be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would agree with the above poster although I have not read that much on the subject to give a definitive answer as to whether I really think it is fair or not.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I agree with Jesse. That info alone isn't enough to judge.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:01 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I would venture to say that the Military isn't about to turn on it's own unless something really terrible happened, or they didn't follow orders. The military tends to get very nitpicky about orders. I don't know why they would throw these guys in jail unless one of those happened. If anything, there is a lot more covering up and protection done by the military than I am comfortable with. They were convicted of war crimes, I understand. It also sounds as though two have been released already.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:33 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I believe during a time of war our soldiers must be held to a certain standard as well as taking the situation into account. and I think them being tried in a military court they probably got that.

However,. they said the Geneva convention was drilled into their heads...the problem, there were orders that conflicted with that....I think it left a huge GREY AREA

The whole situation is really sad

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:23 AM on Sep. 4, 2010