Tummy Time

My daughter will be 4 months old next week and hates tummy time. She was a 34 week preemie and I thought maybe that was the problem but she has had only one setback due to her prematurity. She will lay on her tummy for about 1 minute and then she cries and screams for about 5 minutes and I pick her up. She likes to play on the floor on her back but I am afraid its not enough exercise. She goes in an exersaucer at the sitter's and we play with her on her back at home. She can hold her head up but is no where near being able to sit up. She rolls sometimes but not very often. She just hates being on tummy time. What can I do? Is it OK to not put her on tummy time much?

HeatherTurner

Asked by HeatherTurner at 7:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son had that problem. He was a month premature. Anyway, I just kept doing a little each day..it might not be much but anything was better than nothing. My doctor said to do it until he cries. She said not to pick him up when he begins to fuss, but wait a little longer before picking him up. Eventually, he loved it. Now, he is on his tummy all the time!
    sunshinepraying

Answer by sunshinepraying at 8:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Hold her on your belly...tummy to tummy counts 2x as tummy time! LOL
    Anonymous

• LOL thats CUTE!! I agree with the above.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• My son was having a problem similar to that, and what helped a little was taking one of his favorite toys (plays music & has lights)and putting it in front of his head so he would look at it & it would distract him. Now he somewhat tolerates tummy time. Even if it's for just a moment let her do it & pick her up right before she starts screaming---if you can. Good luck!
    proudmama2772

Answer by proudmama2772 at 8:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2008