Give me your HONEST opinion of this pamplet. (a pamplet give to women who wanted to be the PERFECT housewife in the 1950s...WRITTEN BY WOMEN)

At first I didn't think it was so bad because I do many of the first few things listed but as it continued all I could do was laugh.

Don't complain if he stays out all night?

His conversion his more important than your own?

ROFL!! I've never considered myself a feminist but....wow. LOL

http://andrewhill1968.com/images/flashbacks/old%20ads/RetroGoodWifesGuide1955.jpg

**I put this in general parenting because I guess there's not a home and garden section?

katelingerum88

Asked by katelingerum88 at 12:01 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• should say given**
    katelingerum88

Comment by katelingerum88 (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• bwahahahha
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 12:03 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Consider the times and be glad we've come a long way!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 12:04 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Hahaha yeah I saw that on parenting.com a few days ago. ridiculous, isn't it? my grandmother believes all that stuff and always tells me she doesn't know why Mike is still with me because I'm the anti 50s-housewife, lol.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 12:04 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Eff that.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:06 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• LOL!!

I mean I consider myself "old fashion." I make my own bread, I absolutely LOVE being a SAHM, I don't mind dishes at all...you know...I love taking care of my family but this is just to much. LOL
    katelingerum88

Comment by katelingerum88 (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I was a child born in 1960 and my oldest sister was born in 1950. This type of learning was quite the norm. I asked my sister once what she was going to be when she grew up, a wife, was the answer. She said without a man a woman would die of poverty. I know this sounds all June Cleaver (Leave it to Beaver) stuff, but I spent my 16th birthday summer learning to cook and how to entertain. Back in the day a wife's ability to have great parties and teas was essential to her husbands career. Funny how it turned out for me, I out ranked my husband while on active duty military. To this day I still make more money then he ever dreamed of. We are not married, but I had my share of tea parties and all that other bull that Officer's Wives Club did. They never did have and Officer's Husband Club! My Mom was very 'progressive' for her time, she told me don't marry a doctor, BE a doctor.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 12:11 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My husband can only wish I would be a "little gay and a little more interesting for him."
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:13 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Actually, I do agree with most of it. With a few exceptions.. first of all, He's just going to have to understand that the house is cluttered. I'll clean up when I get to it. I'm not going to rush around trying to get it in order for him to walk in the door. Second, lighting a fire is a bit of a problem.. see, I have no fireplace and my guess is that the landlord would be upset if I tried to improvise one. Third, if I have to change the kids clothes for him, then I'm not turning the damn washer and/or dryer off so he can have quiet. Fourth, I will gladly sit and listen to him tell me all about his night (he works graveyard and then works a second job in the morning), but, my shit is just as important as his. Fifth, I WILL CERTAINLY complain if he stays out all night! And finally, he is NOT the master of this house and decisions will be discussed by both of us!
    Ok, that was a few more than I thought.. lol
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 12:17 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• lzsarejman-

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Too funny!!
    katelingerum88

Comment by katelingerum88 (original poster) at 12:18 AM on Sep. 4, 2010