what's the best wa6 to help my 15 month old breathe easier with this stuffy/runny nose when she doesnt understand how to blow her nose yet?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 12:06 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• use vicks baby rub on her chest, back, and feet.. and a humidifer.. i do that with my kids and it seems to help them... hope she gets better soon
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 12:07 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Baby Vicks and buy a few boxes of the Puff plus vicks, so when you wipe her nose, she's getting a wiff of the good stuff :)
    Vashtiruescode3

Answer by Vashtiruescode3 at 12:08 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I hate to say it because the little ones hate it so much, but suctioning her nose.

A funny story about that. The day after we brought our son home my husband ran to the store to get some eggs and I noticed D was making a whistling sound with his nose...I peered up it and to my horror saw a HUGE booger that in my new-parent-hormonal state-I perceived to be extremely dangerous. I was convinced he was going to somehow suck it down the back of his throat and choke (I know, I know, insane, but he was a day old and he was my first!). I tried to suction it but the tip was too big to fit in his nose. I tried to get it with my pinky...still too big. I sucked it out with my nouth. I kid you not. That kid will never doubt my love for him. Never ever. I sucked a booger out of his nose.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 12:09 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Nasal aspirator.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:10 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• The doctor is pretty sure my son has asthma but he's to young to test him for it so he deals with these issues a lot.

The way we handle it is....

-a steam bath (turn the shower on HOT ONLY and close the bathroom door, let the shower run for 5-7 minutes and then take your child in the bathroom. Just stand in the bathroom so the baby can breath the air...I'm sure this goes without saying but it makes me feel better to say it...do NOT put baby in the HOT water!!!!!!)

-then rub vicks for babies on your child's chest, a VERY small amount on the upper lip and on the feet with socks over it. Put PJs on so it doesn't get everywhere

-suction nose VERY WELL with nasal aspirator. He won't like it...but it's the best thing for him!

-If you have a medicine that dries mucus that is safe in babies (our doc gave us some) then use it.

We also do breathing treatments but if your child doesn't have asthma you probably don't h
    katelingerum88

Answer by katelingerum88 at 12:16 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• ave a machine.

Good luck!
    katelingerum88

• My doctor had me buy my little guy Little Noses saline drops. They help to dry out the sinuses. It worked for him (his nose had run for over a week) after one time. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:06 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• A humidifier in her room at night may help. Otherwise, Graco makes a battery operated nasal aspirator that works amazing! My DD had RSV and has been sick a lot since then. Once I discovered this product, I seem to get more of the junk out of her nose. I use saline drops before I use the nasal aspirator. I've seen these at WalMart, Target and Babies R Us. Here's a link to information about it.

http://www.target.com/NasalClear-Nasal-Aspirator-BR140/dp/B000HVDZKE/ref=br_1_10?ie=UTF8&id=NasalClear%20Nasal%20Aspirator%20BR140&node=13792311&searchSize=30&searchView=grid3&searchPage=1&sr=1-10&qid=1283608674&rh=&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=pmrank&frombrowse=1

GL and hope your little princess feels better soon!!
    anglgrl03

Answer by anglgrl03 at 9:58 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• try to suction her nose to remove snot..

try a humidifyer.. (or if you don't have one, run the shower on hot and just sit in the room with her, obviously don't put her in a HOT shower.. but sitting on the floor next to the tub/shower can help).

try to keep her head elevated.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2010