How Do I Start....

My LO is almost 5 months and once she is 7-8 months I'm hoping to start introducing her to solid foods But I don't know how much to give her or how to start...I am a first time, stay at home mom so I plan for most of her meals to be homemade but I plan to have jarred food for trips and outings. Also how much formula should she have once she starts eating? She eats between 28-30 oz right now?

Momma2Miranda

Asked by Momma2Miranda at 12:39 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I 2nd the self- feeding... why waste time making "baby" food when they can just start with what you're eating? Your baby will give you signs he's ready... so just watch for them and don't look at the calendar too much.

And PP... who told you raw carrots can cause mental disorders? I know they have nitrates... but most kids can't even eat raw carrots for at least 2 years... and how many other foods that contain nitrates are you feeding them anyway?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:29 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• major tip. . . not all babies progress at the same rate. . . what is good for one and recommended might not be what you should do for yours. I would talk to your pediatrician and discuss this at your well baby appointments. GL
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 12:41 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• formula stays the same. give bottles before food, always. Start with a mild tasting, soft food like avocado or banana, baked then mashed sweet potato or squash or cereal just thick enough to stay on the spoon. She'll only eat a tablespoon or less to start.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:44 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Good for you for making your own food! I did the same thing and it is easier than you might think, once you get the hang of it. Be prepared though - your baby may get spoiled! My son was used to homemade food and when I went back to work we started using some jarred foods too, and he didn't like most of them. :)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 12:49 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• To me, cereal is a waste. I never fed my daughter that. I completely feel like you can skip it, though it was suggested to me to mix a little in to jarred foods that might be very strong, like prunes or other things if baby wont take to it. It'll help tone down the flavor so baby can adjust.

Just remember little amounts at this age.

Tried jarred food, but she didn't care for that either. So around 7 months when she was getting teeth we started real food and she absolutely LOVED it!

GL! =)
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 12:50 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Same amount of formula. Formula first food second. Most of the time they will reduce the amount of formula on thier own, but as long as you are still offering the same amount, its perfect.I plan to start with fork mashed foods like banana, sweet potato, avocado etc with my next. I did the jarred mush with my son and he hated it.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:34 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• The best thing I ever did was go the baby led solids route. The gil rapely article is particularly helpful and you can even get the book at your local library.

My 11mo handles whole apples, plums, pears, bananas etc and self-feeds anything including asparagus, cauliflower, etc
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:58 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• try fruits first, then veggies.. try to stay away from meats until she is on three courses...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:01 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• At this age jarred food is only for introducing new flavors, not really so your child can get full off of it. I think we did 8-10 spoonfuls each meal, and then she had formula after. We didn't change her formula amount nor did we expect her to get full off of jarred food. I can tell you though our daughter was NEVER fond or impressed with jarred food, not even stage 3. She wanted real table food.

In a few months though, you can start introducing real solids. That will change it up some.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 12:42 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I didn't start with rice cereal, who wants to taste nasty goop? - and I agree with the very first reply. Talk to your pedi about it, and see what they think. Every child is different. Just remember:

NEVER GIVE RAW CARROTS UNTIL THEY ARE AT LEAST 4 YEARS OLD!!!! Raw carrots can cause severe mental disorders along with many other disorders in young children. The baby food brands at the store, as far as carrots go, are best. Don't try it at home on your own with them. Too risky!
    Vashtiruescode3

Answer by Vashtiruescode3 at 12:51 AM on Sep. 4, 2010