Groom Cake?

Just curious, what is the purpose of a Groom cake? I never actually heard of them until Ace of Cakes. Not saying I think they are a bad thing, just curious as to why they exist (so to speak).

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 12:42 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• It is said to have been created by French bakers in order that the wedding cake, which traditionally was broken over the newly wed couple's head, could stay intact. They used the groom's cake instead. Later, the breaking of the cake evolved into the slicing of the cake. This change resulted in the groom's cake becoming less popular as its purpose faded.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 12:44 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• lol i have no idea but i always thought they were because the bride usually gets to pick the actual wedding cake and the groom cake was more of a "fun" thing for the groom? i hadn't heard of them either until my sister and bil got married, funnily enough he is from Baltimore so maybe its just an East Coast thing? :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:43 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Sometimes the groom's cake is fun, while the wedding cake is traditional.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:46 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I always thought that the groom's cake was for the rehearsal dinner. For some reason in my mind it is supposed to be chocolate as well?
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 2:02 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It's usually chocolate as it's 1. More masculine and 2. To set apart from the brides cake. It can really be any flavor the groom desires.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:09 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Oh that's interesting Glamouring! Thanks! :)
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 12:46 AM on Sep. 4, 2010