Savings?

Do you have a Savings Account?
DH and I used to have one so that we had extra money when things came up like a vehicle needed fixed or the water heater needed replaced. However, with the way the economy is we have had to use it for things that we needed to get taken care of and we do not have one anymore. I was just curious about how many still have savings accounts.

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 12:46 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• We have a savings account, with 6 months of living expenses in it just in case something ever happened and we NEEDED to live off of that money.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i dont anymore either.. i am living on it and am between jobs though...
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 12:48 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We still have savings. We have a set amount to go every month. We are trying to save enough for a remodel on our home ~ with that goal in mind it is easier to tighten our belts on other things. We do not have cable tv and only have cell phones. We seldom eat out and do not rent movies. Of course, internet is a must :)
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 12:50 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We have accounts but they are basically empty lol. We do have extra income but we are more focused on getting our credit card paid off than saving. Once the debts are paid, we can start saving.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 12:52 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• every year we try and SAVE with our income tax return buy by June/July it is all gone, this year it was hard to make it last even that long, so many things kept popping up ,kwim? and now we're behind on bills cause our van got vandalized and a window broken out and we had to get it replaced...
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:49 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I have several different savings accounts. I try to put at least 10% of my income in an account, and if it is a good month, I put 25% or one weeks pay in savings.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We do have a savings account for emergencies as you described. It did take a hit during the past 2 years but we still faithfully deposit money in it every paycheck and learned to scale back so that we can live within our means.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:33 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yes, we have a savings account. We try to keep a decent padding in there so if anything happens, we won't be screwed. Last month my husband had to buy a truck for work so that was $12,000 sucked out of there. If it hadn't been there, we would have had to take out a loan and I don't want to do that.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:23 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yes, we have a savings account and so does everyone we know.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:33 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I just opened a savings account, cause we used up off our savings and that account go closed. The hard thing is I get way better interest rate in my checking than my savings. I want money in savings so I am less likely to use it, but my checking account gets much higher dividends. I guess I just need to practice self control in my spending habits.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 1:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2010