Chores

What chores do you give your

7 year old???

10 year old??

My kids have chores. I am just curious as to how close they are to others.

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 12:46 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• my 8 yr old must keep her room clean, feed the dogs, put her laundry away and occasionally other things... she likes to save her money for things and she knows that she must do extra chores to earn this money...
    springsmom0322

Answer by springsmom0322 at 10:33 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I have a 12 year old.
    She cleans her room and sorts her laundry. She helps me feed our dogs and even has fed them on her own without our asking. We also have her take her clothes from the bathroom, which by now she does automatically. Oh... and pick the dog mess from the back yard.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 12:51 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My DS,11 has the norm of taking out the trash, keeping room clean, making his bed, and keeping his bathroom clean. I also have a HELP WANTED board that I list extra chores on and how much they pay, the harder the job the better the pay. If he or any of my nieces want to make extra money they can pick a job and they have to do a good job at it. This leaves it up to them as to how hard they want to work for something. Oh, my mother and sister also have these boards and you would be surprised how many things get done.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 12:54 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• dog poop pick up, my 12 year old makes all the beds up (she loves to), put clothes away in drawers and hangers, fill the inside water (I have a giant tank of H204U in the garage for the kids formulas~I ask her to go be 'Jill"), watch her brothers, put DVD's on for her brothers, ~she won't touch dishes~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:55 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My daughter is only 2, so no chores yet.....
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:59 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My kids are 3 & 4 right now, they help me set the table, they make their own beds, bring me their trash cans to empty, brush their teeth, go to get the mail or take the trash out with me, or bring back the empty trash bins, water flowers...
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:06 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• 7yo dd: keep all of her things (toys, books, clothes) picked up, bed made, clean up any messes she makes in other rooms, empty the dishwasher when asked, help take the trash out, help carry in groceries, sweep the floors when asked or if she makes a mess on them, clean the counters if she makes a mess on them, fold and put away her laundry, help with the baby and her little sister if asked.
    10yo dd: does all of that and, until we moved and had to start using a laundromat again, had to do her own laundry from start to finish (as did my almost 9yo son and I was teaching the 7yo to do hers). She's also learning to clean the kids bathroom.
    My philosophy is: they make the messes they can clean them up. I don't use the kids' bathroom so I'm not cleaning up the messes they make in there. they can do that. I'll teach each one of them how to clean the toilet, sink and tub and then it's their job.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:43 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I watch an 8 year old boy. I was shocked that he is not required to do any chores. By the time my DD is that age she will be required to clean her bathroom. maintain her room (including making the bed everyday), set the table, help with the dishes, dust & any other chore that I tell her to do.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:56 AM on Sep. 4, 2010