need advice

Ugh...I am so exshausted!!! Anyone know how to keep my kids in their room at night ? A gate doesnt work. I am so tired of waking up in the middle of the night only to find that they got into something that they arent supposed to be in.If its not food..its bubble bath in their hair lol. I'm afraid one of these nights they are going to hurt themselves and we wont know. They do all this after we put them to bed and then go to bed ourselves. I just dont know what to do anymore. Any advice?????

kvaneyk

Asked by kvaneyk at 1:10 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Are they climbing over the gate or opening it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:12 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• put one of those kiddy/safety door knob covers on so they can't open the door... then shut the door tight. Keep a monitor on so you can hear them if they need you.... that's what worked for us any ways

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:13 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Well put all things that are dangerous out of reach. In essence baby proof your home again. Then tell them that when they wake up in the am and mom and dad are not up they are allowed to eat dry cereal. If they need something to drink it is water. If it does not work put a bell on their door and keep your bedroom door ajar. Or use a baby moniter. You need to be firm on how you want to handle things now other wise your gonna end up with a kid in the bath tub full of water dead.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:15 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• they just climb over the gate. So far the only things that they are getting into is the food...tonight I found marshmallows graham (sp) crackers, lunch meat, hot dogs, and frosting in their toy room that they were eating. Last night they decided to put bublle bath in their hair. I explained to them that once they are in bed they are suppsosed to stay there until morning. I have also told them that they arent supposed to play with bubble bath unless they are with me or their dad and they are taking a bath.
    kvaneyk

Comment by kvaneyk (original poster) at 1:22 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• containment is the key~what about those doors that are cut in half and the bottom closes? I have an autistic son who is a runner. I had to reverse the bedroom door lock to lock from the outside just so I can shower...I hang the key popper on the inside and outside...but if your kids are normal, you can't lock them in for long...cps will get all over it if they find out...fire risk....but on the flip, if you have to call 911 on a lost child its a big deal....or if your kids are playing around with the phone and calling 911....they wonder who is watching the kids and can get on that....
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:22 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Oh....I saw those lite switches that change from moon to sun on a timer...the kids have to wait for the sun to get up...saw it on the View
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:24 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Get a taller metal gate that they are not able to climb over. They even make them now with little alarms on them so that if the child should figure out how to open it the alarm will sound.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:15 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Put a child lock on the door that covers the door knob.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 5:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• try a taller gate & put an alarm on their door so you can hear if they open the door. Also they need to know there is a punishment if they disobey.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2010