How do you know if a church is right for you and your family?

I have a "push" to find a local church in my area and want some advice on how to know if it's "right" for me.

LGFDWife

Asked by LGFDWife at 1:29 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You feel comfortable there enough you know you should leave before taking off your shoes.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 1:31 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It's a little like asking how to know you're in love!

But here's my test. If I walk out of a church feeling renewed and closer to God rather than wanting to argue with most of what was said in the service, I'm in the right place.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:47 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Ok you all have great answers some background... I haven't been to church ince I was 6 I am going to be 25. I qut going due to hipocrytes in my church, needless to say a very bad experience. I don't want to find another house of "Holier than Thou" people so I am very weary of new churches.
    LGFDWife

Comment by LGFDWife (original poster) at 1:55 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Meant 16 not 6, quit, LOL just correcting some typos.
    LGFDWife

Comment by LGFDWife (original poster) at 1:57 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• you will know when the time comes so be patient
    moxiema

Answer by moxiema at 2:10 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• When you walk in the door you will feel @ home. I also pray that I'm lead to a church instead of visiting all in town. Another thing to look for is how is the church helping the community. Most churches that give back are better than the ones that are always asking money and stuff. See what kinds of monthly events they have.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 2:15 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• If people that are not "leaders" or involved with things are nice to you. The congregation. If you are greeted when you come in the door and do people actually care about doing good than what each other is doing. See if the "Word" is getting to the people and they are living it.
    Seterah1010

Answer by Seterah1010 at 3:15 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• "Right for the Family" is iffy cuz technically you don't know what your kids believe yet, they are young and still learning whats out there for religious options (i would hope). Too many parents just automatically make their kids be their religion, which really isn't fair to the kids as far as getting to make choices.

Kids pretty much won't care about going to church for the most part, but I would say whatever group and environment makes you feel "it" the most is whats right for you guys. Good Luck :)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:41 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Honestly the only way to know is to go, and to determine whether you feel spiritually enriched or spiritually drained from going. If the service and the people are positive influences on your spirituality, you'll feel good about going there. If t you feel drained, its probably not the right place for you.

I've always heard that one of the ways you know is that you feel like you've just come home, and everyone is there to welcome you back with loving, open arms, and greet you like they've been waiting for your return.

:)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:41 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• You just have to try them out, go for a few weeks and see how you like it, we knew right away and it felt like home, the people were so inviting, there so much to offer my kids, and we just felt like we found our home church and we still love it. You just have to go for a few weeks and see how it goes, you may decide after a few months it's not right for you, and that's ok, just try another and keep looking. We went to a church for a couple years and then decided it just wasn't for us, and then found our home church that we love now. But that other church served a purpose and contributed to our journey.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:40 AM on Sep. 4, 2010