Can you take Unisom sleep aid while you are pregnant?

I was told by my doctor yes but in moderation. Is that true?

Proudmama7380

Asked by Proudmama7380 at 1:43 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Your Doc should know best
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 1:44 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I was told that too, but I never took it. I was too nervous. But I had complications so I was sort of paranoid lol.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:48 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I have come across plenty of bad DR's to know that just because they have a degree does not make a great DR. that knows it all...best best is to call the 1 800 number on the box. If you cannot sleep try other things like lavender in any form, warm milk & soothing music..anything.....I am just against any sleep aide because a friend of mine was told they were safe when she was pregnant and now her son will need a lifetime of special services
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:50 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• sorry I meant best bet...not best best...lol, sorry
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:51 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• screw drs!!! talk to a pharmasist!!! they know soooooooooooo much more than drs!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:57 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Have you tried melatonin first? It is a natural sleep aide, it seems like it would be safer. But if the doctor told you it was okay then I am sure that he/she knows what they are talking about.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:17 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I would be weary of taking any over the counter sleep aid and even a RX one too. I haven't slept in months too. Melatonin isn't even safe during pregnancy and its supposed to be a natural sleep aid. I have taken it off and on for years. It even says on the bottle not to take while pregnant.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 2:57 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Unisom is safe while pregnant. In fact it is often used with B6 to relieve morning sickness. It is in the same "safety" category as tylenol for pregnancy (B).
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 4:52 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i don't trust pills. so i started drinking teas. for my last one i was in the middle of moving the only thing that helped me sleep was sleepytime tea mixed with tension tamer. anytime my kids complain about not being able to sleep i give it to them.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 4:56 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• my dr said for me to take tylenol pm while i was prego... i tried not to and only took it when absolutly neccessary
    springsmom0322

Answer by springsmom0322 at 10:24 AM on Sep. 4, 2010