My 2 month old spits up ALOT..help!?!?

My 2 month old has acid reflux..the Dr perscribed Zantac for him and told me it usually gets better @4-6 months but she also said that he can see a GI specialist if it does not get better and that he could develop pneumonia if he asperats..pretty scary:( He is solely breast feed but he spits up ALOT..right after he eats,and any where 20 mins to 1 hr1/2, different spit up to sometimes chunky sometime watery and then sometimes milky. He is gaining weight perfectly. I just dont know what to do..my first son did not spit up..any help!?!?

socalikim

Asked by socalikim at 2:16 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A contributing factor to this in a breastfed baby is often an oversupply of milk. I encourage you to look at the list of symptoms here and see if you have any more:

Oversupply

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Are you burping him enough? Maybe he's eating too fast and an extra burp or two would slow him down. I think if you keep an eye on him and take him in at the first sign of any kind of chest congestion, you would be ok to wait until the 4-6 month range. If the problem is still there, THEN take him to see a specialist. Poor little thing and you probably don't have any shirts left that don't have a spit up stain, do you? ;-) sorry, trying to make you feel better with a little sillyness.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 2:29 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My daughter had GERD when she was younger. And with it brought along a LOT of crying. She was prescribed Zantac and Reglan and was told to do several other things to help make it better on my own and it worked. She was better by the time she hit 8 months because of the severity of hers. Good Luck!
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 2:31 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• haha your right no clean shirts..I wish i could be naked like my baby..easy clean up :) we do alot of burping because he does eat too fast. I have too much milk rather then not enough..
    socalikim

Comment by socalikim (original poster) at 3:00 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i would say make sure you burp him really good. my daughter used to do this and it was because i wasn't burping her enough. also check to make sure you arent' giving her too much. my daughter wouldn't take more than a 3 ounces at 2 months. she is now working on 5 ounces and sometimes she'll take 6 but no more than that. but i think it's more to do with burping. my daughter sometimes burps 3 , 4 different times from one bottle. what i do is when she eats i then burp her once. then i lay her next to me for 5 to 7 minutes watching her that she doesn't look like she's about to spill out milk. then i pick her up and burp her agian. usually this works. try different postiions too. hope it helps.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 3:28 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• try to watch the dunstan language videos. they show you different baby cries and what they mean. it is a life saver for you and baby.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 3:29 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We have dealt with the same thing (my son is 21 weeks and his peaked at 4 months). The Zantac did NOTHING for the painful burping and the constant spit up... We did see a GI specialist and our son is on Prevacid Solutabs (7.5 mg 2x a day) and a drug called bethanechol that will keep acid/food from coming back out of his stomach... He is like a whole new baby now. When I was pregnant with him (and when he first started spitting up) I swore my infant would never be on medication but once the doc explained to my husband and I that it's painful and can cause permanent damage to his esophogus we knew we had to give in.. Parents who have not dealt with reflux have noooooo idea how awful it can be. My advice is try to get it under control ASAP because it usually gets worse before it gets better.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 10:10 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Oh also, I know it's sometimes difficult but we refrain from moving him around a lot after feedings (usually about 45 mins if possible) and we keep him upright for at least 30 mins before laying him flat (for sleep) after a feeding. I hope that helps and good luck!
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 10:12 AM on Sep. 4, 2010