Switching to a bottle.

How did you switch your Exclusively Breast Fed baby to a bottle?

kamsmommy17

Asked by kamsmommy17 at 2:17 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We went straight from breast to cup. Haha, she is still on the breast every morning at 18 months though, so we're still not weaned completely. She didn't even start weaning until 16 months though, so we had no need for a bottle. She always refused them as a baby anyway, so I don't think they would have worked. I will say, don't waste a lot of money on fancy "breast to bottle" or "breast to cup" options right away though. I spent a lot of money on certain cups "The Magic Cup" by Advent being one of the first, and you know which cups she prefers? Two cheap Fisher Price hard spouts that I found at the Dollar General when we forgot her cup on a trip to visit Nanny and Poppy. Haha, she loves them and drinks from them great and with all of the other cups we wasted money on, even the ones specific to breast babies, she would hardly take and barely drank anything from.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 11:38 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Just asking...why would you wean at 9 months? That's so close to a year....and if you wait a year you won't have to pump or give formula.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 4:34 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• If you want him to continue getting your milk, why switch to a bottle? Just continue nursing until he can handle a cup and cows milk and then you don't have to wean twice! ;)

When you do want to wean, drop a feeding per week until gone. If before 12 months replace with a bottle (or sippy if he's not a huge "sucker")... after 12 months, just offer a cup of milk regularly along with his food.

Most moms can't maintain pumping through the whole first year, so if you wean early you will probably need to use formula (unless you are one of the few that respond REALLY well to pumps)... but again, why go through all that and transitioning twice when you can just wait a few months (or longer! Human milk will be best for him throughout his toddler years!) and do it once?

LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I ran put of breast milk and my daughter needed to eat, luckily we had bottles and a sample pack of formula, I gave her the bottle at first she didn't take it but once she got hungry enough she did and then she got use to it after like the third time of us giving it to her.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 4:42 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• If your baby is under 8 eeks old and you must supplement a cup, eyedropper, or spoon is best. see dr jack newman

After that choose a breast friendly bottle (I wouldn't use pacifiers unless you are gone to work so you can reduce the chances of nipple confusion and then you likely must just be gone for the baby to take it. They know where the good stuff is.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:02 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Well, that all depends on babies age and the reason for weaning... care to elaborate?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:19 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• He's 6 months old and I'm just getting information for when I do wean him, probably around 9 or so months...have considered continuing to pump to give him breastmilk from the bottle.
    kamsmommy17

Comment by kamsmommy17 (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i just put the breast milk in a bottle and gave it to mine and he took it fine
    Runt420

Answer by Runt420 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Also, depending on your child, you *may* need to replace the comfort he's now getting from you with another object... a blanket or stuffed animal... or a pacifier if he has a very strong oral need. Just something else to keep in mind...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:39 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Wait a few more months, then wean to a cup at 12 months.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2010