Shy Toddler

My 2 year old son is painfully shy...what are some suggestions for getting him to interact with other children? And not be so shy around adults that know him?

kamsmommy17

Asked by kamsmommy17 at 2:18 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He will grow out of it. Just be social yourself, don't push him to interact (invite, but don't push), and let him adjust to each situation. Go to the library's story hour, have play dates, etc. Keep in mind too that at this age they play alongside others not with them. That comes later on. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:32 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I think they really reach a certain age where something changes and they come out of their shell. I would wait a bit. Just be social yourself and it will teach your little one that it is okay.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:20 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Being shy can be a great thing. My 2 year old will walk up to and talk to complete strangers and wants them to pick him up or walk with him. For example if we are in the park. He acts as though he has known them the entire 2 years he has been here. I wish he was shy Is your 2 year old in daycare where he can interact with other children on a daily basis?
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 2:23 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• maybe try to get the other children to interact with him first.. if he sees you playing with the toher kids he may want to be included.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Thanks ladies, these are things I already do. I am grateful that he doesn't try to interact with total strangers, lol. I am VERY social myself so I think that may be why I wish he was a social butterfly. I definitely should try and make more playdates and things, thanks so much ladies!
    kamsmommy17

Comment by kamsmommy17 (original poster) at 2:33 AM on Sep. 5, 2010