Question for the Vegetarians

I've thrown around the idea of changing to a veg diet for quite a while, but it has always been for the health benefit.Just recently, I watched a documentary called The Cove, it was about the slottering of dolphins that is going on in Japan, and I was completely sickened, I couldn't get the pictures of it out of my mind when trying to go to bed that night. The next day I was talking to my husband about it, and he said that while he agrees that it is wrong, it is no different than what happens to the cows, pigs and chickens that we eat. That got me really thinking about becoming vegetarian, solely looking at it from an animal rights stand point. This reaction totally caught me off guard, as I was brought up eating meat and have never gave two thoughts about it. I was just wondering if anyone else has become vegetarian this way or for this reason, and how they were able to deal with people not understanding their choice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Sd and I watched a movie a few weeks ago that touched on the cruelty of slaughter and, poor thing, she went from a carnivore to a starchivore. She claims to hate veg. She will learn. Me, I choose to eat things that were happy when they were alive...free range, wild game, etc. People assume I'm vegetarian but you can't judge a book la dee dah
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 2:36 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I have been vegetarian for years and not one of these that does it because they think its trendy and notone of these that does it but then says,"I'm vegetarian but I eat chicken and turkey"or "I'm vegetarian, but I eat fish and beef" That's not vegetarian, that's just picky eating and wanting the title. When I gave up meat I gave it all up, even if food has been cooked with meat or touched it I wont eat it. Like if its chicken broth I wont eat it or pepperoni pizza, I wont pull off the meat and still eat it. I had only one reason in the beginning and as I got older and (wiser) I started getting more reasons to be vegetarian. In the beginning I stopped meat because the idea of eating something that was alive literally made me sick to my stomach. I had a very cruel biology teacher in hs and we had to disect a frog and pig and no gloves allowed. For about 3 weeks altogether. We had to scoop out the ovaries and everything cont.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:00 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• bare-handed. It was very disgusting. So after that I couldn't eat meat anymore of any kind. Then when I learned more down the road I found out that animals are horribly mistreated. For one, to make chicken more affordable, farmers are now growing them twice the size they should be and their bones can't support themselves and they continously fall down from weak legs and they never see the light of day from birth to death they are in a way overcrowded coop that is filled with poop and urine and feathers and they are butt up against other chickens and caged a lot of times. A lot of farmers are getting out of the business because its so cruel and ridicoulus. The American way:grow it cheaper, bigger and faster. Meanwhile they grow these animals(cows, chickens, pigs, etc) with growth hormones, antibiotics and pestivides and we eat that. Growth hormones contribute greatly to cancer and reproductive problems in humans cont
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:06 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Antibiotics can over time cause us to become "immune" to the drug and then when we get really sick from a disease they will no longer be able to help us. Pesticides have long been known to cause cancer and reproductive problems. if someone offered you bug spray would you eat it? If someone offered you antibiotics at every meal would you take it? If someone offered you growth hormones would you take it? ANd I am convinced this is why teenagers mature way too early now days. Girls going through puberty at age 8 and teens having horrific acne. when you get off meat and dairy that acne clears up almost immediately all own its own? My children have never consumed meat and dh has since being married to me and becoming educated on the subject became vegetarian too. Vegetarians live a lot longer too. Japan, who eats pretty much fish only have almost no alzeiemer's disease, live a long time, are thinner and have very low cancer rates!!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:15 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i have been a vegetarian my whole life, but the health benefits and the treatment of animals is what keeps me being a vegetarian - both things. I can't even think of eating the flesh of a murdered living thing without almost throwing up, it is disgusting and disturbing.

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 9:53 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I've been vegetarian for 5 years. I've always had trouble disassociating that hamburger from that "moo cow" on the farm. Even when I was 6, I tried to go veg, but my grandmother would tell me (when my parents were around) "if you don't eat meat, you're not going to eat at all"...

SweetLoveofMine is correct, animals are treated horribly, here and really everywhere. I choose to take no part in that industry. It's nasty, cruel, disgusting, and just... all around wrong! I definitely encourage you to at least try it, and if you have any questions/need tips/etc, feel free to contact me!

:) Sarah
    Sarita.F

Answer by Sarita.F at 7:01 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I am mostly vegetarian. I was vegetarian for a long time and then got married and my eating habits changed but I am gong back to being mostly vegetarian. I feel better in mind and body when I do. I do eat meat once in a while but it's meat that is kosher or free range and I know the animals were treated well. The whole pack em in and kill em slaughtering industry sickens me to no end. I actually prefer veggies, fruits, cheeses, pastas and things like that. I even order my pizza with veggies on it and have for years. Hubby is not a vegetarian and he complains about it sometimes but I just look at him and say, you are welcome to fix yourself your own meat. I don't care if people understand my choice, I'm not making them do it so why should they care??
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 7:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2010