Why is it apparently ok to have very adult themed signatures here even though the Cafemom guidelines say it's not ok?

I see an awful lot of signatures with swear words and pretty darn close to nudity and very porn like. This is in a big, active group that is not themed for those kinds of things. Sure, I can just turn off my ability to see the signatures, but why should I, or anyone else who doesn't want to see it or doesn't want their kids to see it, have to do that because a few nasty people don't follow the rules? Why even have the rule if they don't enforce it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in About CafeMom

• We are all adults here, we as adults have the ability to make our own decisions, including what we make out siggys. We should all be mature enough to handle it. If it really bothers you, then make it so you cant see the signatures.
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 3:34 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I have to agree with morgs. I have been on here for a few years now and i have not seen anything that comes even close to porn and I belong to groups that range from racy to very conservative. What may be porn to you may not be to others.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:42 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I don't know, Anon, did you report them or anything? I keep the signatures turned off for this very reason! Here are the guidelines: http://www.cafemom.com/about/community.php#adult   "9. Be respectful of others when posting any content that is adult in nature... We all have different thresholds for what we are comfortable seeing and reading. In addition, while CafeMom is a site for moms, moms often have their children around! In order to make CafeMom comfortable for everyone, and so any little ones don't see something that they shouldn't, please adhere to the following guidelines when posting content that may not be suitable for everyone: (cont.)

DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 4:27 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• .....Cursing and adult content are prohibited in public areas and allowed - with sashing - in other areas of CafeMom.

The public areas include: avatars, screen names, thought bubbles, profile pages (text and images), journal post titles, group names, group descriptions, group avatars, signatures, widgets, showdowns, non-adult section of polls, answers, and other similar places.

There are cases where cursing or content will be so extreme that it will be removed regardless of whether the content is flagged correctly. We're all adults, there's no need to go to an extreme."

DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 4:29 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• p. s., anon, look at #14. "You may discuss CafeMom's policies, but only in the CafeMom Discussion group." I don't think we're supposed to discuss it here so I'm guessing your question will get deleted.

DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 4:31 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Oh, and for 3 ring circus, you're right about "What may be porn to you may not be to others". It might not be porn to you or to the person who posted the signature, but it sounds like it is porn to the OP. And the guideline says "We all have different thresholds for what we are comfortable seeing and reading". Just because you are comfortable with it, doesn't mean someone else isn't. Yes, we're all adults here (or should be). Like it says, "We're all adults, there's no need to go to an extreme."
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 5:22 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• cuz we're all over 18 and hopefully they got more important things to worry about?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:31 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I agree.. porn (to me) is sexual intercourse. not something you can see on a beach or a fashion show or in a Halloween costume ad. The human body is not a shameful thing.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:32 AM on Sep. 4, 2010