As advice to deal with bad teacher....

I was suggested to sent a tape recorder with my daughter putting it in her bag or pencil box... would you do something like this?

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 3:16 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Depending on the situation! Could you explain more? lWhat the issue your having with teacher? The reason that you need to record this tearcher behind her back?
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:25 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• You might try a small hidden camera instead. Depending on your state, it's illegal to record voice without their consent. If you think your child is with a bad teacher, then get a transfer asap. Why risk it?
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:52 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I have thought for quite some time now that there should be cameras in every classroom and that parents should be able to watch it live from their tv on a certain local channel. I know technology is up to speed for it because they do it with lots of things. That way, you know what is going on, teachers are on top of their game, kids are more alert and if kid missed that day of school then he/she can watch the lesson on tv!!!! Think about how much better kids would behave and teachers too and there would be less cheating!!!!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:02 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• what grade is she and why can't you just pop into her class everynow and then? i'm not sure what the problem is, have you talked to the principle or the board?
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 5:32 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• If you are concerned enough to think about sending in a tape recorder then I think you should go speak with the teacher directly and share that concern, and possibly request that the principle be present. Not only would you be modeling direct problem-solving for your child, you won't be encouraging a situation that is likely to make the relationship between your child and their teacher worse. Imagine what happens when your child shares with their friends that they are secretly taping the teacher to "catch" them!

Teachers are people. I think secretly taping a person (outside of police investigations) isn't the best way to solve a problem. It just leads to greater distrust and makes reconcilliation nearly impossible. My thought would be that reconcilliation of any problem with a child's teacher would be the goal.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:06 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Just ask the principal or district to transfer you child to another class (or school if necessary)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:09 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• that would be illegal in most states, how about sitting down and having a meeting with the principal, yourself and the teacher like adults?
    misunderstood1

Answer by misunderstood1 at 8:48 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I would think that having a parent/teacher conference would be a first step and then move on up the ladder.... school administration, then their boss, then district, and finally school board if nec.
    If you suspect criminal acts then go faster and involve the police at the adminstrator level etc.
    I'd be wary of sending a tape recorder w/o looking at the laws in your state.
    Also look into popping in, volunteering in class/school etc.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2010