If you do or do not Home School....Does my schedule seem adequate, should I take off some hours, or add?

I was wondering what you think of this schedule. Should I tweek it to make it longer, does this seem like an adequate amount of studying?

8am DH and DS go for a jog/walk around the block, sometimes they ride bikes but this is what they always do, school or not. they are gone a half hour
8:30a-Shower and get dressed
9am to 11am is school time
11-11:30 is a snack break
11:30-1:30 school time then we're done

We cover English & Math everyday Mon-Friday
M and W : Music & Social Studies
T and Th: Art & Science
Friday we study Latin (Foreign Language)

I'm counting the morning walk/jog/bike with DH as PE

What is the recommended time, or what you would recommend, per day, for English and Math? I currently do about 45-60 minutes each a day. Basically every subject is taught that long.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in

• Sounds good to me. The extra time that he would have in school would be spent at recess and lunch. Going to the library or computer lab. You could maybe add art and crafts or field trips too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Where is he in comparison to his grade level and age? I think it sounds good, in psychology my professor mentioned something about an adults amount of time to absorb knowledge is about a hour long, after that it's basically in one ear out the other. So I could imagine it is shorter for children, so breaking it up like how you are doing makes sense.
    In public school teachers spend a lot of time simply dealing with behavior of 20+ kids so being one on one you are doing just fine, think of all the time wasted in a public school class room, no offense. But the recess, the kids with bad behavior who effect the whole class, the recess, the movies, etc. You don't have all of that so you are probably doing about the same amount, ot more of actual study time.
    I always called elementary school, daycare school, which is why it's so long. You're doing fine. Don't worry.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:33 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It sounds great to me, we homeschool as well. People forget that what takes students in a classroom to learn in 6 1/2 hours can be done in almost half that time with only a few kids to teach. Your schedule sounds great, if you feel like your rushing after a few weeks or not reaching daily goals then add another 30 minutes or so to your "school day" to compensate for it.
    I love the PE first thing in the morning, we have been doing that as well,it makes the sitting time go so much smoother.
    Also I was wondering, are you setting aside a day or two a month for field trips? I think this year we will be picking 2-3 days a month for educational field trips that match our unit studies for that month.

I'm rambling:) GOOD LUCK!! HAVE FUN!
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 7:39 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I like it. Sounds about like a typically school day without all the class changes and wasted time in homeroom. Not to mention you even included a foreign language.
    cynthia613

Answer by cynthia613 at 3:31 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It sounds great to me.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:15 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It sounds awesome. I was going to say you seem to be spending maybe too much time per subject. It is one on one and it shouldn't take a "normal" school length day to get it all...I like it though.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:47 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• English is Language Arts
    Social Studies is History (different language for Elementary ages than for middle and high school where I live)

I guess I figured that since we are one on one and all attention is on him that doing as much time as an elementary school does would kind of be pointless since I do leave him to do independent work after 1:30p, which I should have added in hindsight.

His independent work consists of reading, summarizing, fill in the blanks, similar to a regular schools homework. It takes him anywhere from 1hr to 2 hrs depending on what I ask of him.

Where do you suggest I add in more time so I don't lose his interest? Maybe add in more Latin?

Keep in mind we don't have recess or extra breaks, or try to fill time.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:29 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• What about History and language arts. (English class) I also think you need to add about another 1 - 1 1/2 hours longer ending the school your doing school for 4 hours a day a normal school day is 6 1/2 hours I see that you want it to be a laid back day for you and your son but i don't see that your child is getting the time he really needs to learn ALL SUBJECTS. Momma this is just my opinion.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:37 AM on Sep. 4, 2010