Why did you choose to Formula Feed?

no bashing!

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 3:33 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I supplemented and did both with both dd and ds till about 5-6 months. I cannot produce enough milk b/c I had a breast reduction at 14 and many of my milk ducts are cut.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:36 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I only FF my oldest daughter. I tried to BF her for 2 weeks, but I only had a 6 week maternity leave. She would not latch and after a while, I just did not want to pump all day when I needed the 4 weeks to bond with her. I was succesful in BF my other two.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:36 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i was molested as a child and it made me feel disgusting to put my boob to my daughter. i know it's supposed to be natural and beautiful but i can't change my mentality. it hurt me emotionally to think about that, and she is very healthy, alert, and strong so i don't regret formula feeding. she gets to bond with mommy or daddy during feedings
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:42 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I didn't do it by choice. Both kids were diagnosed with severe GERD and it was nex to mpossible to bf. There was a lot of crying on both ends. I had to mix bottles with cereal so that is was thick enough for them and also had to give Zantac twice daily. DD had it worse than ds. I was able to bf ds for about 2 weeks before he was diagnosed and by then milk production was pretty much gone and I also had a herniated ruptured disc and a c-sec and wasn't able to move very well and pumping all day just wasn't practical because dh was at work all day and I was doing all of this alone and had some ppd. With dd I had a vbac and no back injury and dh was home more but still it was a no-go because of the GERD. I had a hospital grade double pump and was able to bf for 3 months but was still disapointed when production stopped. Breastfeeding is not easy without help!!!!!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:48 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I wasn't able to breastfeed. They were both formula babies and they are just fine. My husband and I were also both formula fed and we turned out fine :o) Good luck with your decision.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:50 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Dh was deploying, I just moved to a new state with no friends or family. I chose to formula feed so dh could have some time with her and be able to get up in the middle of the night to help but he never did. I might bf my next... Dd latched but I couldn't handle the feeling. No pain but wasn't prepared to have her sucking on my nipple. But dd and I have a GREAT bond, she's so much healthier than I am too! I wouldnt trade a thing... Never propped a bottle and we had skin to skin contact all the time. The only thing is I wish her daddy would have been able to be around longer than one year of her 3 years of life!!! She doesn't have a bond with her daddy at all but hopefully that will change as she gets older.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:57 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Because it's what I wanted to do and works best for my family. All 5 of my kids are/were formula fed with no regrets and all are very healthy, smart and happy.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:58 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I honestly tried to bf both times, but seriously my body didnt produce enough milk, i would feed for over an hr straight try chaning sides etc, but less than an hr later icould hear their little tummies grumbling from being hungry!! So I switched to formula. my girls are both very healthy alert smart little people, i am so proud of them!
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 4:02 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Oh, I also had an emergency C and was concerned about the pain management. Could barely walk up the stairs to get to the bathroom... Spent the first two months on the couch with dd so I could get her bottles easier. Lol when she wanted food she would slap my face with her little hands.... Or pull my nose!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:05 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I did not want to be the only one to be able to feed my DD's. I wanted to be able to go places alone with out my baby once in a while. BFing you never get a break. And I heard it hurts. And they bit. Painfull bleeding nipple. No thank you.

Answer by louise2 at 6:19 AM on Sep. 4, 2010