During your time breastfeeding, did you ever seek help or guidance from a lacation couselor or consultant?

That's it. :)

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 3:38 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• YES!! With ds ... he was failing to thrive (had already pooped in hospital) but was not really peeing and had not pooped several days after he went home... the dr. talked about hospitalizing b/c he was going backwards I had a friend b/f him and went to see a lactation consultant... we worked on latch and figured out I was not making enough milk. My friends gave me breastmilk for a while except that bio dad freaked so eventually ended up doing form. and breast milk....
    I had a breast reduction therefor despite using EVERYTHING... fenugreek, beer, extra water, b/f then pumping etc. I just could NOT produce enough milk.
    By the time dd was born I knew that I would have to supplement but went to a lactation specialist right after she was born to make sure every thing okay and b/c I couldn't get her to take the bottle... she helped me find one that would work for her...
    BOTH ladies I went to were AWESOME...
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:33 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yes I did, but I must say that if its a conversation over the phone a lot of times its notthat helpful. Personally I think in order to get real help with breastfeding you have to be watched by someone and then they literally show you how right there.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:41 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• No. My youngest daughter picked it up like an old pro. I was still nursing her when my son was born so I still had the technique and positioning mastered.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:46 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yes, but it didn't help. I met with one in person several times and still couldn't do it. Good luck!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:51 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• No, I asked a few questions at the hospital before leaving and then managed to figure the rest out using books and talking to a friend who was nursing.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:11 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• YES YES AND YES, LOL I met with the lactation lady at the hospital several times, SHE was not helpful. After coming home I called LLL,breastfeeding support groups and the lactation lady at the WIC office and met with all of them at one time or another. It was very impportant to me to be able to breastfeed so I did everything I could to di it rught. DS had a terriblelatch so it took alot of work, he nursed until he was 2.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 7:49 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I took a breastfeeding class before my 1st child was born and then each time I had my five kids I always asked to have a consultation with the lactation consultant on call. The only child I had problems with was my 4th - the first LC from the hospital wasn't much help, so I asked again the next day and got someone who was very helpful. I probably wouldn't have been able to continue bfeeding him if it hadn't been for her.

Answer by missanc at 7:52 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I found that I didn't like the lactation consultant. On my third child in the hospital she burst into my room without knocking and demanded to "see my latch"

I said no.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:29 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• yes... it seemed like my daughter was having a hard time getting started so we met with the lactation lady at the hospital and found out that my milk was letting down too fast and she couldnt handle it so she would pull away!! problem solved with pumping for a couple mins before she latched on...
    springsmom0322

Answer by springsmom0322 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yes, after my first I asked for some guidance cuz my supply stunk.
    She gave me some advice and had me rent a pump from her but that was about it.

I could have lived without it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:04 PM on Sep. 4, 2010